lesson learned the hard way

daav

Flailing up a storm.
Hey all,
I just wanted to pass on something that we all have heard that is soooo important:

KEEP YOUR GUITARS IN THEIR CASES!!

in the past 6 months or so i made a vow to do this regularly, and was sticking with it nicely. Then my friend and i jammed together one night, i did some recording on and off the next few days, and one of my favorite guitars (SG Classic) stayed out on a stand for a week or more, untill....

Well first, most of my amps sit until the basement stairs which are open on the side the amps are on, with just a railing. the guitar sat in front of those on its stand.

Well, my wife set this insanely-heavy-for-its-small-size stone planter off to the side on the stairs to be brought down and stored at a later time. Soon enough, the planter was jostled and fell. I didn't realize until a day or two later when i went to pick up the guitar and see an intense dent in the edge of the body about an inch and half long and about half an inch deep, fully through the finish with large splinters sticking out.

After a long and loud scream, I got ahold of myself, and realized that i don't plan to resell this guitar and a cosmetic issue isn't the end of the world. Plugged in, and the guitar plays, but with an electric buzz now! Must have jarred a solder joint loose or something.

So because i didn't put this thing in its case, i now have a dented-ass buzzing guitar that i hopefully will be able to put back into playing shape soon.

This lesson also made me realize that the instrument i have that is in the best shape is the old cheap MIM fender jazz bass that i only take out of the case to play, because i barely ever use it.

Daav

Eh, guitars are meant to be played. I store my acoustic in its case partly because it's way more delicate than an electric solidbody and partly because I just don't have space (I'd leave it out if I could), but the rest of my guitars are on wallmounts.

Guess which on I play the least? ;)

Most of them have picked up their share of dings or scratches over the years, but very few of them were the result of being left out.

Anyway, I don't particulary care about their cosmetic condition, and if leaving them out makes me play them more, so much the better. :D

Sorry to hear this!

I have always put all my instruments back in their cases after I play them. This includes bass and Keyboards too.

Simple fact is I don't have the room to spread them out so all of my geetars look new! :p

Now you don't have to save up for a relic!

Back