lesser of two evils: headphones or pc speakers

philpereira

I've been working on a bunch of songs and have one that is just about done and I've been trying to mix it and such. I've been using headphones so that I don't cause a ruckus in the house. I can't afford monitors, and doubt I'll ever be able to justify to my wife or myself that I'll need them, since I am by all means an amateur and will remain that way. So, that being the case, is it better if I use my cambridge soundworks speakers (the 2 tweeter and subwoofer setup called PCWorks) or the headphones (which i consider pretty good quality)? Or should I ask around here to get an aspiring or generous mixer to take care of my tracks for me?

It is virtually impossible to get a good mix on headphones or pc speakers. I know because I tried. I found a pair of Event PS6 monitors on ebay for <$300. It was worth it.

yeah, i agree i'll never get a very good mix without monitors. maybe someday in the future i'll be able to get them, but not anytime soon. i need to get a lawnmower and pay off student loans, i would have so much disposable income if it wasn't for school, then again i wouldn't have my income without school lol anyway, i'll probably ask around to see if a kind soul can mix my music for me as practice or whatever.

i would say the lesser of two evils is a good pair of headphones

but i'm not (relax people) reccomending you mix on headphones

I would say use both until you get monitors (I'm in the same boat, at present). Mix mostly with your speakers (if they're remotely decent) and check all your mixes with cans for any weirdness and to make small adjustments. Then burn the mix to cd and check it on other systems. You'll eventually learn some of the limitations of your mixing setup and adjust accordingly.

I'm in the same situation as well! I mix using a combination of headphones and my computer speakers, then test it out in my car. My car has a decent stereo and I have more of an idea of how music should sound in there. Come back to the computer, make changes, repeat ad infinitum.

Back