Leslie Cabinet....

Spikeh

What do you all know about these things? What are they capable of? I have one in my studio, but no wires etc... don't even know if it works or not.

I've heard rumours that I could hook this up to guitar / bass / keys and get that funky rotary sound from it. I know it was used on "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden...

Would making some cables / converting it take much time / knowledge? I have basic electronics skills, but nothing too complex...

Is there anything I need to consider? Impedance? Voltage? Anyone have experience with them?

I use a motionsound SRV-1, and so I can't tell you about the technical aspects of your unit or converting it.

But sound-wise, it's an incredibly useful tool in the studio for direct micing and reamping.

I have a Leslie 145 for my Hammond right and the sound of a real leslie is awesome. I found one in my friend's music store that wasn't working and i sent it in to a local organ guru who fixed it up and I was floored upon playing it live the first time. nothing beats it. we even ran guitar through it for an album. vocals sounds great too. spend the money to fix it up.

Been used to great effect by a number of notable guitar players including the late Danny Gatton. There are a number of emulation pedals out there at attempt to replicate the sound.

there are basicly 2 versions (with some variations)... the 147/145 type and the 122 type... the 147 is a single ended input the 122 is a diferencial input...
as the hammonds themselves put out quite a bit of juice themselves to use a leslie for other instruments requires an additional pre-amp... it can be done but takes some know-how... as an alternative google goff organs... they are one of the biggies inthis stuff and rentals for tours and such... IIRC they have kits available....

Been used to great effect by a number of notable guitar players including the late Danny Gatton. There are a number of emulation pedals out there at attempt to replicate the sound.

George Harrison's guitar solo on the single (45 rpm) version of 'Let It Be' - which is also on the album 'Let It Be Naked' - is Leslie'd.

GVDV.

there are basicly 2 versions (with some variations)... the 147/145 type and the 122 type... the 147 is a single ended input the 122 is a diferencial input...
as the hammonds themselves put out quite a bit of juice themselves to use a leslie for other instruments requires an additional pre-amp... it can be done but takes some know-how... as an alternative google goff organs... they are one of the biggies inthis stuff and rentals for tours and such... IIRC they have kits available....

I have no idea what you just said but for the original poster, i will promote spending research time and money fixing up your Leslie. You are lucky to have one, and it deserves a good home. There are plenty of musicians who would love to get their hands on one. I think what he was saying is to get the vintage foot pedal. Just find an old organ guru and they'll show you the way.

I have a 147. If you're not electronicly hip, you should try to find the Combo Preamp and 6 pin cable that goes with it. It'll make it possible to connect it line level sources.

Back