Les Paul pickup switch relocation

chamelious

www.thesunexplodes.com
Wondered if anyone has done this? Have an ESP ec-1000 and i love it except for the position of that switch. I do a lot of tapping and its 100% in the way there. On a so called rock/metal guitar i can't understand why its been left there to be honest.

Dude how is the toggle in your way tapping? I have played a les paul for years and never had any problem with tapping on it?

its in the same place on every les paul isnt it? everyone I ever saw anyway... not like I have seen that many but

wtf is tapping? is that some kind of code word?

hell just flip it on the rhythm setting and cut it off with some snippers :laughings:

seriously tho that looks like a cool guitar :)

Wireneck, don't know it just is? Its only in the way when tapping on the lowest 3 strings or so. I tend to do this more than the higher strings.

Greg, yeah, tappings gay, all you need is 3 powerchords, etc etc.

arcadeko Tapping is legato with your right hand/picking hand.

Really surprises me that no one else seems to have this problem. Looking for something low profile to replace it with, maybe rotary

I have a Gibson 'The Paul' from the late 1970's and the switch is located slightly under the stop tailpiece. Or you could try the position that an SG has located right above the 2 volume controls.
The Paul-
Paulw-P90-.jpg

SG-

Attachments

• White SG.jpg
    White SG.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 63
I don't know if I'd exactly call it "legato" playing. If someone doesn't know the word "tapping," referring to Eddie Van Halen is probably the best-bet for a second try.

If conjuring up images of EVH doesn't work: overdriving the amp enough so that you can sound even non-ringing strings by hammering on, thereby freeing the right hand from picking duties so it can participate in a crazed fiesta of high-speed fretting.

Once your right hand is flying about in the vicinity of the 12th fret or so, I can see how it might run afoul of the standard LP pickup switch.

I don't think I've heard "tapping" and "proper technique" together in the same sentence a lot. If you use a fairly pure definition of "proper technique," tapping isn't, no matter how you do it. I suppose it's possible that extensive academic study of the works of Van Halen, Malmsteen and Vai has resulted in the music profession defining "proper" and "improper" tapping techniques.

I don't think I've heard "tapping" and "proper technique" together in the same sentence a lot. If you use a fairly pure definition of "proper technique," tapping isn't, no matter how you do it. I suppose it's possible that extensive academic study of the works of Van Halen, Malmsteen and Vai has resulted in the music profession defining "proper" and "improper" tapping techniques.

I think the original implication was "tapping is gay, alternate pick/play chords/etc", troll response.

Why not just learn proper technique? It will save you the aggravation in the long run.

Excuse me?

Yeah, you get that sort of thing 'round here. Heck, I've probably done my share! :o

Greg, yeah, tappings gay, all you need is 3 powerchords, etc etc.

:laughings: at anticipating Greg's predictable response.

Just looked at pics of a ESP ec-1000. Most have flamed tops- it will be impossible to hid the old hole on a flame-top, difficult on most everything else. You would have to be a world-class re-finishing expert. I'd look for some sort of flush-mount switch to fit in the original place- maybe a push button, wired to be push-neck/push-both/push-bridge.

Yeah, you get that sort of thing 'round here. Heck, I've probably done my share! :o

:laughings: at anticipating Greg's predictable response.

Just looked at pics of a ESP ec-1000. Most have flamed tops- it will be impossible to hid the old hole on a flame-top, difficult on most everything else. You would have to be a world-class re-finishing expert. I'd look for some sort of flush-mount switch to fit in the original place- maybe a push button, wired to be push-neck/push-both/push-bridge.

Oddly enough dodging a flame or quilt top is easier than many plain tops (solid colours included) simply because they are so "busy". The hardest of the lot are plain light coloured tops like maple or light coloured sunbursts. In any case if it were me I'd swap out the switch for a rotary or similar and fix it back if I was selling on.

Back