Les Paul Custom

Buffalo Bob

A friend loaned me an old Custom - about 20 years old - (he doesn't play), and it's in need of some repair (back electronics panel, cord jack)- I told him I'd find out the cost of repair and the approx. value of the guitar. Questions:
Where is the serial number located?
What are the best strings for this?
What is the best polish (Gibson?)

I have a cheapy Epi Les Paul and am really looking forward to playing this thing. Thanks in advance.

Bob

The serial number is on the back of the headstock.

.10 to .46, or .09 to .42 are poplular guages. Many people find the ones starting at .09 to be too easy to bend and they like bigger gauges. I think .10 to .42 sounds good and is easy to bend- that is what I would try first to see how you like it.

Guitar Polish- Ken Smith is one of the best brands but hard to find. I use Martin guitar polish on my two Les Pauls and it works well. I've never tried the Gibson brand.

www.lespaulforum.com is a good website/forum with a lot of knowlegable people.

Bob,

Post the serial number here and I'll tell you what year it was made. Some of hte gibson serial numbers are not conclusive, so I may need more info, but I'm happy to ID it for you.

:)

foo

Excellent- thanks Foo! I toyed with the idea of buying it from my friend, but 1/ I can't afford it(!) 2/It would be wasted in my hands! I'd rather see him sell it to some smokin' player who could really make it sing.

Bob

It can be ID'd on the gibson website as well. If there is no number I would be very suspicious.

You can get gibson replacement hardware at just about any store, but I wouldn't recommend replacing anything...like I'm assuming the gold is coming off the pickups and all that...it's character!

If the neck is straight and it plays well I would think it to be worth $1000....might take a month to sell, but anything less would be too little.

As for strings, I use .11-48 on mine. There is no "right string", but heavier strings seem to be more productive on a heavy guitar like this. They're not really made for heavy strings though. Make sure to have the guitar professionally setup if you change string gauge, unless you're handy with a truss rod :)

I would be careful with polish. I can barely polish mine anymore...it gets real cloudy and I think the paint is deteriorating. Get expert advice if possible.

Use guitar honey on that ebony fretboard and you will tell your friend that you're keeping the fucking guitar :)

Custom's from the early 80's are either real good or real bad. Mine is an '80 and just happens to be real good. It should be obvious which group yours falls into as soon as you get some strings on there and have it setup.

Slackmaster 2000

Foo- here's the S/N: 402145 Les Paul Custom, dark cherry.
The Gibson site was very vague, and the only series match I found dated it at 1966. It could be that old - it appears to have been played by a thrasher or a drunken bluesman, cause it's got some dings and scratches. People should be more respectful of an axe like this. The strings must be at least twenty years old!
The neck is straight and the fingerboard (OOOOHHHHH, ebony!) is sweet. I'm getting some strings today- can't wait to fire this baby up.

Slack - thanks for the advice!

"Use guitar honey on that ebony fretboard and you will tell your friend that you're keeping the fucking guitar"

Honestly, I haven't even PLAYED it yet, and I don't know how I'll ever be able to part with.......her.

Bob

If the words "Made In USA" are impressed into the back of yer headstock and the six digit number begins with a "4", you have a 1974 or 1975 model...

No "Made In USA" on it, you got a '66................gibs

There's no such thing as a 66 LP...

Les Paul's contract with Gibson ended in 62, and he didn't renew it because he didn't want ot share the wealth with Mary Ford who he was divorcing. Also, the LP went to the SG body style in 61, and did not return to the old style until the custom was reissued in 68.

If anyone is looking for a Black LP Custom, I have one for sale @1300. Its an 87, and SWEET!

schwa, you're right......I shoulda added a :rolleyes: to the '66........

However, rumors still abound that there were some custom LPs that were made during the "off" period......

A '66 that could be proved legit would be worth a gazillion bucks, no doubt ! :cool: ......gibs

Back