les paul custom classic

I like a high action too, and a heavier set of strings than most. Good players like to dig in when required without the set up wimping out...:thumbs up:

+1. I HATE ultra low action. I bend strings quite a bit as part of my playing style and don't like them to slip out from under my fingertips.

And to the GI, I totally dig the off-white Gibson color on a LP Custom or an SG. Great choice imo!

I don't really know what it is. I might be doing it all wrong. I like the way it feels though. The touch is soft and light and it stays in tune very well and the intonation is pretty right on. It's just got a little buzz here and there. No dead spots or anything. The buzzing seems to be the worst down below the 5th fret on the low strings.

That is where the frets tend to get worn the most. It's also the hardest part of the neck to selectively dress the frets. It's unlikely that adding a little more neck relief will cure it down there. Best advice live with it until it gets to a point where it's too annoying then get the frets dressed or a refret. A fret dressing may help now but it will be back after a while.

oh ..... yeah, that's a different issue than set-up unless you simply don't have enough relief in the neck. There should be a very slight curve to the neck .... it shouldn't be perfectly straight and especially shouldn't be arched back any.
But worn frets can't really be adjusted out.
If a fret has a decent groove or flat spot it essentially makes the action too low as far as the next fret is concerned.
Sometimes a good tech can dress the frets and get rid of the buzz but if the wear is very significant you'll have to have a refret.

Normally too little neck relief will choke all the strings. To just hit one or two frets selectively with buzzing it has to be right on the sweet spot. It may be worth a tweak but unless it's buzzing badly or choking I doubt it. Hard to say really...

As you've probably found in the past worn grooves in frets are a pain because you can't use the straight edge trick to spot the ones that are low you have to fret and eye ball the clearance and even then it's not easy. More of a feel thing.

Normally too little neck relief will choke all the strings. To just hit one or two frets selectively with buzzing it has to be right on the sweet spot. It may be worth a tweak but unless it's buzzing badly or choking I doubt it. Hard to say really...

As you've probably found in the past worn grooves in frets are a pain because you can't use the straight edge trick to spot the ones that are low you have to fret and eye ball the clearance and even then it's not easy. More of a feel thing.
from his description it sounds like a worn frets issue to me.
I have seen necks with a warp (not sure if that's the right term for this) in the fretboard that can cause buzzing on just a few frets but mostly I've seen that on acoustics where the neck joins the body. Ovations seem to do this a lot. The fretboard has a sudden sharp rise right at the body.

from his description it sounds like a worn frets issue to me.
I have seen necks with a warp (not sure if that's the right term for this) in the fretboard that can cause buzzing on just a few frets but mostly I've seen that on acoustics where the neck joins the body. Ovations seem to do this a lot. The fretboard has a sudden sharp rise right at the body.

Thats known as 14th fret hump. Very common on Martins, I do a dozen or so a year. Either strip out all the frets and relevel or just 12 fret to the soundhole.

I'm pretty certain gerg has worn frets as well. Again pretty common on Fender fret wire they always seem to be the first to go probably cos of the size of fret wire.

is it a buzz that comes thru while amped or is it a buzz that you mainly hear when playing it without an amp?

It comes through amp'd a little if I'm playing clean. And it's not as noticeable with chords, just single notes. Once I get it into some gain it aint noticebale, and it's not a problem if I'm moving around. Like say I fret the G on the low E string. It'll buzz a little. If I push hard so the string goes sharp, it doesn't buzz at all. If I pick lightly or moderately it doesn't buzz. If I dig in, it'll buzz a little. And those same frets don't buzz on the high strings. Just the low ones. Those strings in that area of the fretboard see a lot of powerchord action, so it's probably frets, huh? They look a little flattened, but not too bad.

That is where the frets tend to get worn the most. It's also the hardest part of the neck to selectively dress the frets. It's unlikely that adding a little more neck relief will cure it down there. Best advice live with it until it gets to a point where it's too annoying then get the frets dressed or a refret. A fret dressing may help now but it will be back after a while.

Yeah I can live with it if it's a fret issue. If it's something a setup can fix I'd like to do it. I like the way it plays though. It feels great to me everywhere and like I said there's no wongo notes anywhere and the intonation is good.

well i got it today and it looks perfect and the setup is excellent

intonation is near perfect and the action is nice and low but not too low

That's really pretty.
I have a fondness for white or cream gits.
And I think dropping the pickguard was the right move.
Congrats on a fine instrument.

thanks!

i was tuning it this morning and the 3 treble side strings all went ping

i hate that sound!!! and theres no reason for it. so the nut will have to be filed - unless the pinging goes away...

The reason for it is the strings are sticking in the nut or saddle. You can try a little saddle/nut lube from your local store or just gently rub a little candle wax across the grooves. Many use a little graphite from pencil a but I don't like the dark residue, It will last longer though. If the problem persists you'll need to get the nut or saddles dressed. Not a big job. Have you changed string gauge?

thanks!

i was tuning it this morning and the 3 treble side strings all went ping

i hate that sound!!! and theres no reason for it. so the nut will have to be filed - unless the pinging goes away...

Just about every new Gibson I play does that. Mine has started doing it, so it's about to go get a fix up.

thanks. looks like the cream ones are all gone from zzounds and ams. musicians friend has them on order but for 1599.

i think 1499 is a steal for this guitar.

Back