Les paul" AND" strat "OR" Prs custom 24 ? ?

Les paul AND strat OR , Prs custom 24 ?

• Total voters

rxkevco

Hi all , ,
Am taking ill health retirement from work quite soon and am already in the very lucky position of subconciously spending the lump sum payment !

If i allow myself £2,000 i could get a brand new PRS custom 24, or both a used gibson les paul AND a fender strat and still have a little change.

What would you go for ? ?

I voted for PRS...

but then again 2 is obviously larger than 1..

The thing is if you really like that PRS (especially visually), neither the gibson nor the fender will satisfy you (at least me)... and sometimes having less number of guitars / options is not bad..

I'm having the strangest feeling of deja vu about this thread...

I'm going to give the same answer I did last time, if you are in fact the same guy I remember. If you are in fact retiring for good, never to work again, save the cash. Health problems + no revenue stream = not a good time to be dropping a lot of money on guitars you don't desperately need, as I think I recall your having a couple other nice ones floating around.

EDIT - yeah.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=286572

While the PRS can certainly do some sounds that neither the Les Paul nor the Strat can achieve, it can only approximate the sounds that either a Les Paul or a Strat can achieve.

And chances are, if you're wondering whether the PRS can do the Strat/LP thing, it's because you want those iconic sounds in your arsenal. So you'll probably be disappointed in the PRS approximations.

One big shortcoming (imho) of the PRS 24 is that there is no way that guitar can ever successfully achieve that warm, round, jazzy sound of a Les Paul on the neck pickup only, because the 24-fret fingerboard of the PRS forces the neck pickup's polepieces to be placed significantly closer to the bridge than they are on the LP.

Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way: Been a Les Paul fan all my life, but found a great deal on a PRS back in 2000. Awesome guitar, I love it & will never sell it...but it's not a Les Paul (nor a Strat). Not even close.

LP+Strat, then trade in teh LP for a Telecaster.

/wipes hands on pants/

Much as I love and prefer single-coils (especially P-90s :)) I think it's a good idea to also have something with humbuckers. They're really good at pushing tube amps. :)

LP+Strat, then trade in teh LP for a Telecaster.
Much as I love and prefer single-coils (especially P-90s :)) I think it's a good idea to also have something with humbuckers. They're really good at pushing tube amps. :)

What he said

...so trade in the Strat for a Telecaster!
LP + Telecaster = 90% of everything you ever need to do on electric guitar covered. If you're mostly playing rock, make that 99%.

I have a les paul and a strat so it's obvious what my choice is.
I also have a V.
So, you should go with a les paul, a strat, and a V.

GREG!! THANK YOU!!!!

god thats the whole reason i pretty much cant stand fenders!! their just so friggin twangy its almost like nails on a chalkboard to me!!

:eek::eek:

but hey, maybe im just retarded.... (probably)

Get the LP and strat, sell the stupid strat, and buy a P-90's SG then you will be ready to rock.
You've got to be kidding me.
I have a les paul and a strat and I'm probably going to sell the stupid les paul...so I can buy a nice acoustic.

The les paul is fun to play a tune or 2 on and then put back in the case...not really a main stage guitar for my taste. It does a couple of things very well but is not nearly as versitile as a strat. Good strats stomp a mudhole in a les pauls ass and walk it dry on clean tones.
On crunch guitar pauls rule...but...NO WAY would I be left stratless!

GREG!! THANK YOU!!!!

god thats the whole reason i pretty much cant stand fenders!! their just so friggin twangy

Thank God and Leo Fender...they are twangy!!!

I love twang YEAH YEAH YEAH!
I love twang YEAH YEAH YEAH!

with a twang like that...you know you sho-o-o-o-ould...

Be GLAD! YEAH YEAH YEAH...YEAH YEAH YEAH...YEAH YEAH YEAH YEEEEAAAAH!!;)

I love twang and strats are twang heaven!!

You've got to be kidding me.
I have a les paul and a strat and I'm probably going to sell the stupid les paul...so I can buy a nice acoustic.

The les paul is fun to play a tune or 2 on and then put back in the case...not really a main stage guitar for my taste. It does a couple of things very well but is not nearly as versitile as a strat. Good strats stomp a mudhole in a les pauls ass and walk it dry on clean tones.
On crunch guitar pauls rule...but...NO!
dumbest post I've ever read. You clearly suck.

GREG!! THANK YOU!!!!

god thats the whole reason i pretty much cant stand fenders!! their just so friggin twangy its almost like nails on a chalkboard to me!!

:eek::eek:

but hey, maybe im just retarded.... (probably)
Maybe. I like strats in small doses. Teles are pretty much useless to guys like me - guys that rock.

Back