Lengthy guitar cables

tpreager

At my studio, we are putting in wall mounts that will allow some members of the band to play in the live room but have their amp in the booth so the band can all play in the same room. Now we do this by having jacks in the live room and running the wire through the walls to the booth so your guitar would plug into the wall mount jack.

I read up on some instrument cable and it's always best to use the least amount of cable possible (obviously, we all know that), but if you can't avoid it, then run through a DI from your guitar, then to the wall mount, then from the other wall mount in the booth, to another DI and then to the AMP. This way your now running the signal balacned through an XLR cable, instead of an unbalanced TS. whew.

Does anybody know if it would make much of a difference (noticeably less noise) if we used the DI's or not? I mean, the cable we're running will probably only be 10' -15', but unbalanced, and run beside all the other cables (which will be balanced). If we go with using the DI's, then we will change the wall mounts from TRS to XLR jacks.

Thanks,
Tim

Back