Lend me your monitors...

uh, I fear something has gone wrong with the download...sounds like a barnful of swallows with someone tuning a bass guitar in the basement.....or is that the tune?

bd

wow i just tried the lo-fi stream and nearly lost both eardrums!

It could be an imperial code...

I don't know why its screwed, but the hi-fi stream and download both seem ok.

It's dark and heavy with satanic undervoices. What to do with material like that? Well, you could always ease back on the mouse and faders a bit. Then it wouldn't be so dark and heavy, which is the only thing wrong with the mix. That and the fact that it's dull.

Okay, here's a suggestion: tweak the satanic undervoices so you can actually understand what they're saying more easily. It's bound to be something we can deal with, right? You afraid that people will actually understand what's being said?

There's too much bottom end, and too much indistinct sound in the mix - yeah, that's what I'm trying to say.

Dobro,
How did you listen to this....obviously not lo-fi stream. But judging from your review, I figured out what's wrong. Satan is in there screwing things up!

or no........?

bd

I think it's a good mix. I'm listening on my internet pc speakers which are actually decent with the sub cranked about halfway. Not too much bass at all. Good blend. Couldn't make out what the whispers are saying, but they blend well. Subtle and effective.

I think dobro knows something about the satanic world that I dont know.

I did not even hear voices.

what I heard was a very polished mix, highly artistic expression and incredibly interesting delivery.

I have the luxury of downloading it. It sounds fine.

Overall a good mix. Things are sounding pretty good. Musically I think it needs to do a bit more. As an instrumental it's a little tougher to keep up listener interest. Ok scratch that - you said it was aimed at film/tv. I don't see why this won't work.

I might suggest that the guitar that comes in at 1:13 could be turned up just a bit. There seems to be a little crackling going on at about 3:08.

My thoughts...

Thanks for the input so far - much appreciated.

Dobro, fair comments, I was trying to use the whisper sound as texture rather than lyrics, but I can see why they might seem frustratingly indistinct.

Cyan and Flatrock - cheers for the thumbs-up on the mix, looks like my headphones werent deceiving me too much after all ;)

TripleM - I hear what you're saying about keeping it interesting (echoed by Dobro) - I already stripped a load of extra details out of the mix because I was worried about it sounding cluttered. Maybe I've overdone it and left it a bit repetitive, kindo of lacking enough new ideas as the track progresses.

You've definitely given me some pointers for the next attempt. Thanks again.

Klytus

this'd be great for tv/movie backdrop stuff.. I liked it. With a solo on top of it, it would make a good instrumental for me. Nice mix too.

Cyan: "I did not even hear voices."

Klytus: "Dobro, fair comments, I was trying to use the whisper sound as texture rather than lyrics, but I can see why they might seem frustratingly indistinct."

Cyan - nyahhh! :D

Klytus - you ever hear Hounds of Love by Kate Bush? There's a song on that album, I think it's called Waking the Witch, that has a spooky schizophrenic demonic voice, and you can make out what's it's saying. Really sinister.

Mixmkr, B.Sabbath, Kramer - glad you think this would work OK as underscore, thanks for the input.

Dobro - havent heard that particular track but will check it out.

Cheers
Klytus

Back