Lend Me Your Ear

Perdicament

Hey, ya'll... I have a link to a recording we did. It is our first attempt to record on our own, using a PC. I had a fairly tough time with the drums and getting them to sound half way decent. I think I have them as good as i could get them. Everything else is done with pure Boss GT6 and GT6B. There is 2 guitar players 1 Bass player, and drums...no vocals laid down yet...(soon to come though). I'd like to know what ya think of it...and if ya have any questions or tips I'd love to know. Thanks In Advance!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/incomingmusic.htm

Ummm... I think the guitars aren't loud enough in the mix. Nothing is sounding really seated or nestled in. The snare sounds kind of weak in that I wish it sounded more like a gunshot. Know what I mean? The solo while decently played was too far out front compared to the rest of the tracks. The whole thing sounded over processed like I could tell you had to use every digital effort to help the sound. Good quality tracks make for a good quality mixdown. I'd work from that angle if I were you. It was a decent tune as much as I could tell w/o the vocals being there. Good try, IMO.

Chris

The low end rattled my speakers...indicating too much energy focused down there. Trim some of those lows back and bring up the midrange chunk in the guitars...that'll give them a little more bite out front. The snare does sound a little thin for the genre too (as noted earlier).

Performances are good though!

K-

Someone likes Megadeth. :)

Harsh upper mids on the guitar, 3k region needs some taming. Also there needs to be more solid mids on the guitars--it's all chunk and fizz but no meat. Makes for a sour guitar sound.

Bass guitar is virtually indestinct--it needs its own sonic territory and to tighten up. Right now it is just some blurry low end muddle.

Rhythm guitars should be tracked tighter for this style of music. It's 98% of the way there but that's 2% short of where you need to be. When the second guitar comes in at the intro it is REALLY bad timing.

Guitar solo tone isn't very nice. It's not wretched but it doesn't sing. Also, it seems a bit buried.

Kick drum needs more punch and authority. In fact it needs a ton more. You can hardly hear it.

Snare drum is decent, but too dry and too thin because you don't hear much shell resonance.

Toms need way more thunder and attack.

Thank you all for taking the time to listen and to offer your feedback. I really appreciate it. I will take all of your helpful suggestions the next time we record (hopefully in a few weeks). This was my very first attempt to record so I was really shootin in the dark with alot of stuff. It always helps to hear from an unbiased ear. And the wealth of information on this board is amazing...I'm glad I found it.

I hear mid-scoop, and I don't like it ;)

Tip: if you think EQ is your only option left to fix something, your wrong 99% of the time. EQ's should be used very, VERY carefully, if at all.

I'm willing to bet you weren't happy with your initial drum sound and tried all kinds of EQ/compression to make it sound better? Wrong turn, try micing it differently.

Back