Legal issues--songwriting/sampling ?'s

SerenityThen

Ive got a few questions maybe someone could give some feedback on.

1. Do I need to obtain permission to use one line or lyric from a popular song for use on my own song?

For example, Can I add one line from a Doors song "If you give this man a rise..sweet families will die" and mix that one line in with my lyrics?

The backing music would be my own. Could I publish a song with one borrowed line?

2. If I wanted to do a cover song and hand it out marked as a "demo-not for sale", Do I need to obtain permission from the songs owner?

Legally can a radio station play "demos" and/or "demo's of cover song or demo's of any songs??

3. What's the method of obtaining the rights to do a cover song? Should I try to obtain the rights before hand -or- record the music first so that the owner has a good idea how bad I plan to butcher the song?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO!!!!!!!

Hi,

#1....................no........One line...not the hook.......it's cool.........

#2.....................no you are cool but if a radio station wants to play it.......you need a liscense.........

#3.......................Go to ASCAP and check out the liscensing info..................

Good luck man,
Joe

Yes -- if you are going to make and distribute more than a few copies, you need permission of the copyright holder. Not selling the CD makes no difference. A few personal copies is OK, but if you're making dozens of copies and distributing them, you need permission.

The radio station already has public performance licenses with ASCAP and BMI (and SESAC). They're covered.

You need a mechanical license. It will cost you 8 cents for each copy of the recording you produce.

Contact the Harry Fox Agency, or the copyright holder/publisher of the song.

DCM

Back