Leaving your interface on?

devilsgirth

Just wanna avoid stressing my interface or my computer so I had a few questions:

1) Should you turn your interface on before you start up the computer or after?

2) Should you turn the interface off before or after you turn off your computer?

3) If you take a break from recording is it good to just leave the interface on for a while in between recording sessions or should you turn it off right when you're done using it?

So does it really matter or am I just being paranoid?

I remember reading (I think) in the manual for my 18i6, that you should take the power lead out when you're not using it or haven't been using it for a while.

I imagine it's them covering themselves. If not, they could have at least put a switch on the thing.

It's like a radio... if you're not listening, turn it off.

Save the world...

On a side note, I've had devices with those newfangled electronic transformers via a "wall wart" that have broken after leaving the thing plugged in and on and the device itself off... shouldn't happen, but it did. Twice... (the wall wart broke, not the device...)

*glowers at GT10*

These days I carry a spare...

So does it really matter or am I just being paranoid?

I have the same interface as you. I say it doesn't really matter. I generally leave it on the entire day. I don't really pay attention to when I turn it on/off in relation to my computer start up/shut down.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is since you have a firewire interface you need to make sure you turn off both your computer and interface before you unplug/plug in the interface. Or else you risk frying your firewire ports in the comp/interface. That's the only real "rule" I have with my interface :)

I have the same interface as you. I say it doesn't really matter. I generally leave it on the entire day. I don't really pay attention to when I turn it on/off in relation to my computer start up/shut down.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is since you have a firewire interface you need to make sure you turn off both your computer and interface before you unplug/plug in the interface. Or else you risk frying your firewire ports in the comp/interface. That's the only real "rule" I have with my interface :)

Ok thanks for the input man

I wouldn't worry about it. When I'm not recording, my interface is my sound-card. I'm not going to turn it off and on again every time I want to listen ot something on my computer.

I do not leave my saffire pro 40 on. But when I was using a fast track pro I left it on all the time. But it has my surround sound computer speakers plugged into it. So, I leave it on all the time. Unless you're using the saffire as your main audio device and using your monitors as your speakers then no reason to leave it on. Just flip the switch.

In regards to studio monitors, you should always switch them on AFTER you have fired up your computer and other instruments, and turn your monitors off BEFORE you switch off said equipment, to avoid damaging them with pops which occur when powering up electrical items.

I have Focusrite PRO 40 and it is on permanently. But then so is the computer. I seem to have fewer problems when it doesnt have to start up and shut down all the time.

If I turn on my interfaces AFTER the computer fully boots...they don't get picked up by the DAW software.
I then have to go into the software console for each interface and click on a couple of buttons for them to become "active".
The way the drivers work with mine...it is best if the interfaces are on before the computer boots.

To prevent the audio "THUMP"....I just turn down the monitors while everything is booting.

All of my kit, 2 computers, monitors(vga) mixers, Tannoy monitors all get banged on and of from the same 13A twin outlet. The PCs each have 2496 in them and obviously mssrs M-A and Tannoy know a thing or two about audio because I never get pops on start or stop.
Other gear. HT-20, Teac A3440, minidisc and Dol S cassette are on the same power line but are not on all of the time of course.
Sam. Your setup should NOT be fussy how you start it up! I had that trouble some years ago turned out to be AI driver problems.

Dave.

Back