LEAST EXPENSIVE GOOD-QUALITY METHOD fOR PC RECORDING!!!!!

maqic

I think I have found a very budgeted way to record good sounding stuff onto your computer. My setup is as follows:

1. Crate Guitar AMP plugged directly into my computer jack (line-in, with the help of an adapter) The amp is connected via headphone jack in the back of the amp to the adapter.

2. Electric Guitar plugged into the input part of the amp.

3. My home stereo system acts as monitors. They are connected in the speaker jack on my computer with rca going into the back of the stereo.

My acoustic guitar w/pickup does great going through the amp first instead of the computer because the amp acts as a preamp (I am guess it's the same)

I got Sonic Foundry running and I got some high-quality sounds being recorded right now.

I just love the sound and I already had all the stuff laying around I just had to figure out that I could hook everything together.

Happy that this works for you... liking your own work is kind of a prereq for continuing. If you cut a successful album with this setup you might lookup shAkEz_gk and pass along your engineering tips.

maqic said:
1. Crate Guitar AMP plugged directly into my computer jack (line-in, with the help of an adapter) The amp is connected via headphone jack in the back of the amp to the adapter.
:eek:
Is there no "line out" on the back of your amp? Even my cheap-ass 20watt Crate practice amp has THAT!

3. My home stereo system acts as monitors. They are connected in the speaker jack on my computer with rca going into the back of the stereo.
Bet you're getting a "sweet" sounding monitor there!

My acoustic guitar w/pickup does great going through the amp first instead of the computer because the amp acts as a preamp (I am guess it's the same)
Bet is sound reallly natural, too!

I got Sonic Foundry running and I got some high-quality sounds being recorded right now.

I just love the sound and I already had all the stuff laying around I just had to figure out that I could hook everything together.
Cool. What soundcard are you using? Soundblaster Live?

Why don't you post us an MP3?

If you buy a cheap mixer or preamp and a couple cheap condensor mics your recordings will sound alot better especially the acoustic recordings.

ChristopherM- were you trying to be sarcastic or just a complete jerkoff?

Not everyone needs expensive equipment to do recordings for personal enjoyment. Maqic never said he was going to start recording professionally... he was simply saying that he could record music that sounds good to him without buying more equipment.

maqic said:

Very cool! Can you put your songs onto a music CD? Windows Media Player is what I use but I guess there are other freebies out there that will let you do that.

I think when you're starting from scratch, acquiring capabilities as cheaply as possible is the way to go. You can then learn the process from start to finish and, if you decide you want to continue creating music, you're in a better position to focus on quality and replace the weak links in your process with better stuff.

Actually Yes

To that jerkwad that was being very sarcastic......

To all those questions. ACTUALLY YES... My sterea does acts as very good monitors and my pickup has surprisingly great natural sounds. These aren't based just on my listenings anyone that records with me comments on the great sounding stuff.. I would be glad to post and mp3 to let everyone hear waht I am getting with this...

macafied said:
ChristopherM- were you trying to be sarcastic or just a complete jerkoff?
:D
Maybe I went a little overboard on the sarcasm.
I guess I mistook maqic for a troll or another one of those fellas coming to "show us how it's done."

Anyway, if this is really how maqic has his stuff hooked up, he's gonna fry something soon. I'm not saying everyone has to have expensive equipment (I don't). I will suggest re-thinking the way this stuff is hooked up, though.

Hey maqic, try "line out" instead of "headphone out" or "speaker out." Spare your equipment some pain.

shAkEz_gk, checked out your music. Not really my cup of tea, style-wise, but the production is very nice!

macafied said:
If you buy a cheap mixer or preamp and a couple cheap condensor mics your recordings will sound alot better especially the acoustic recordings.
Agreed. Hell, even just a cheap Shure PG58 plugged straight into the soundcard with the input level turned all the way up might even be an improvement.

Re: Actually Yes

maqic said:
To that jerkwad that was being very sarcastic......

To all those questions. ACTUALLY YES... My sterea does acts as very good monitors and my pickup has surprisingly great natural sounds. These aren't based just on my listenings anyone that records with me comments on the great sounding stuff.. I would be glad to post and mp3 to let everyone hear waht I am getting with this...

Ha. You were typing as I was typing!

Hey...no offense. Like I said, I mistook you for a forum troll.

I think you'll be even more pleased with your sound if you mic the acoustic.

Still waiting for the MP3...

Signed,
The Jerkwad
:D

Here's the mp3

I got the mp3 that people wanted. Listen and see if this sounds good for only buying 10$ worth if stuff (the adapters)
This is just a little acoustic piece I did. And for all those that are suggesting a mic, I am getting one of those soon...

and ps, does any one else think that I am going to fry my stuff? I really don't want to. Critisism welcome...

& ps again... I don't think my amp has a lineout, it was a stereo effects loop (send and return) and a serious EXT Stereo speaker output (right and left)

Re: Here's the mp3

maqic said:
I got the mp3 that people wanted. Listen and see if this sounds good for only buying 10$ worth if stuff (the adapters)
This is just a little acoustic piece I did. And for all those that are suggesting a mic, I am getting one of those soon...

and ps, does any one else think that I am going to fry my stuff? I really don't want to. Critisism welcome...

& ps again... I don't think my amp has a lineout, it was a stereo effects loop (send and return) and a serious EXT Stereo speaker output (right and left)

Which amp is it?

And here's another idea...mic the amp!

As far as the stereo as a monitor...if it's not your main/nice stereo, maybe it wouldn't hurt much for a while, but you're definitely shortening it's lifespan greatly. It wouldn't hurt to pick up even a cheap set of Edirol powered monitors instead. They would last longer and wouldn't "color" your mix so much for mixing purposes.

Can't hear the song at work...I'll listen when I get home.

not directly connected

You see, I have my stereo hooked up to my computer.. And the only reason it is acting like a monitor is because it is getting signal from my computer. It is an ok stereo, not an expensive one, I got it for free, if it died, wouldn't matter that much. but I am definalty going to get more professional and learn to stop "rigging" stuff up.

Re: not directly connected

maqic said:
You see, I have my stereo hooked up to my computer.. And the only reason it is acting like a monitor is because it is getting signal from my computer. It is an ok stereo, not an expensive one, I got it for free, if it died, wouldn't matter that much. but I am definalty going to get more professional and learn to stop "rigging" stuff up.

You're probably alright in that regard, for now, then.

I definitely would change the guitar-amp-to-soundcard setup.
Which guitar amp is it?

Re: Modle number

maqic said:
Umm...not familiar with that one.

You mean GX-60C? That's a dual 10" speaker combo ('course it's 60 watts, not 120, which would match the model number). If that's what you have, you're right...no line out. You probably won't fry anything right away, but I'd suggest a mic. Or "send" would put out a pre-amped, EQed signal with no chorus.

Nice playing, by the way, but hard to judge by just a single guitar short audio clip.

tip: move far away from the computer monitor (or turn it off) while you're recording. that might help you get rid of that buzzing noise...

Back