Learning the Fretboard. I found this site helpful...

Easto

While surfing the other day I came across this site. Maybe it's my own personal style... but I really enjoyed how he lays out the fretboard and explains things. It has definately helped my playing and understanding of the fretboard. It may be rudimental to some of you but I found it quite helpful.

http://www.garlandpool.com/rStone.html

That is pretty cool

Easto said:
While surfing the other day I came across this site. Maybe it's my own personal style... but I really enjoyed how he lays out the fretboard and explains things. It has definately helped my playing and understanding of the fretboard. It may be rudimental to some of you but I found it quite helpful.

http://www.garlandpool.com/rStone.html

Definetly more helpfull than The Guitar Grimoire....

It ain't the be-all end-all of learning a scale inside and out, but a pretty cool shortcut to learning some fingering patterns!

It is interesting, but it has one problem that most guitar methods have, which is the focus on patterns and shapes over pitches. Now, of course, this is common because it is easier than learning thing on the basis of pitch, but it also tends to lead to guitar players thinking geometrically (in shapes) instead of linearly (in melodies). This, in turn, tends to lead to a stringing together of licks instead of improvising melodies.

I am NOT saying it is a bad idea, nor even that it is not a legitimate way of learning (I have always been more of a pattern guy myself), but I am simply pointing out the weaknesses of learning the fingerboard in patterns like this. Learning patterns is, of course, much faster, but I have always liked the idea of thinking in terms of pitch rather than shape.

This also kind of falls apart when you start dealing with melodic and harmonic minors, or at least you need to learn a new system.

Again, I am NOT saying it not a cleaver idea, I just wanted to point out some of its weaknesses.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I think it's great if used alongside more traditional methods.

If one were to practice those patterns, one should say (and sing in pitch as much as possible) each note name as it is played.
This isn't possible at speed obviously.

One should also be aware of how scales/chords are made up and other theory - but that can come later.

I've always been an 'intervals' player myself. I know where the root notes of the key are all over the guitar and I go from there. I know how the scales and modes work so I just use the intervals to 'see' the pattern.

Horses for courses - everybody is different so everybody latches on to a different modus operandi. Wouldn't it be awful if all guitarists played the same way?!

Light said:
This also kind of falls apart when you start dealing with melodic and harmonic minors, or at least you need to learn a new system.

Again, I am NOT saying it not a cleaver idea, I just wanted to point out some of its weaknesses.

Light
Your point is well taken. I have actually purchased his book and in it he covers what you have mentioned above. (it's in the mail)

I realize that this is not the path to professional guitar playing. But it is a tool that I've found to fit the way that my mind works and my style of playing. I also use many other learning tools. This is just one that I've added to my list.

Believe me... I'll take all the help I can get, lol

Last edited:
My son in learning to play bass which as we all know is the same as the lower four strings of guitar, this link gave him some great exercise and practical knowledge of patterns to use "behind" a guitar riff.

Interesting link. If learning the fretboard is something you want to do, I highly suggest this program:

http://www.softempire.com/absolute-fretboard-trainer.html

Just do it for a few minutes each day and pretty soon you'll know it like the back of your hand.

As for patterns I think they're good but limiting. IMO the *best* way is to learn by memorizing note intervals - the way the notes interact with each other. IE, learning what a minor 3rd sounds like, then knowing where to go to make that interval all over the fretboard.

cheers

IMHO, I would try to steer clear of this site if I were you. I agree with Light and what he said about the limitations of this method. While you're bound to notice patterns on the fretboard as you learn scales, it's much more important to know what note you're playing at what time and how it relates to the chord.

The method on this site says "as long as you remember this, you'll never hit a bad note" (or maybe it was a "wrong" note, something like that). This seems to make all the notes equal, as to say "anything goes, just stay within the lines." While this may be true as far as staying within the notes of a key, there's much more to that when it comes to playing melodies.

If all you're wanting to do is learn the fretboard, I would just suggest getting a chart and studying it. You'll notice these little patterns (you can't help but notice them) that will help make it easier, but it's not a good idea to base everything off them. As Light also said, there are other scales besides the major scale.

If this method is simply allowing you to picture the notes all over the fretboard in a given key, then ok. But just remember that you really should know what notes you're playing at any given time if you want to be able to play more than just "pattern licks."

famous beagle said:
IMHO, I would try to steer clear of this site if I were you...

...If this method is simply allowing you to picture the notes all over the fretboard in a given key, then ok. But just remember that you really should know what notes you're playing at any given time if you want to be able to play more than just "pattern licks."

I would have to disagree with your first statement. I also think that you (and others) may be misinterpreting this as the “Ultimate Guitar System”. I believe that this is just one of many tools one can use to increase their knowledge of their instrument.

Everyone learns in different ways. I myself have been playing guitar for 35 years. I’m not great and I’m not bad. I’ve taken lessons (and given lessons) and have used many different concepts and tools to try to improve my playing. I have 2 years of college level music theory (as a music major at one point in my life) and I still struggle with my instrument. If I would have had this tool years ago I can guarantee that my playing would be better than it is today. It really works for me.

I think everyone should try and use as many of the tools that are available to them in order to increase their understanding of music in general. This particular method really spoke to me and I hope it’s able to help others. To many it might be a “first step” learning tool. To others it may fit in somewhere along the path in learning their instrument. And yes, to others it may not be useful at all. But suggesting to others to “steer clear” of it I find to be a bit over the top.

The graphics are beautifully presented. However, I couldn't recognize the scale the program was working with. I kept trying to hear the major scale in there, but couldn't pick it out.

It's very similiar to a teaching method that I use. However, I preface the idea with learning intervals. I think you need to train the ear before you train the eye.

Ben Logan said:
The graphics are beautifully presented. However, I couldn't recognize the scale the program was working with. I kept trying to hear the major scale in there, but couldn't pick it out.

Which program are you referring to? If it's Fretboard Wizard, there is no scale to be listening for. It's just a little program to aid in learning the notes of each fret/string. Notes are just thrown out randomly and you have to name the note. It's kinda like that old game Math Blaster, in a way.

anselm said:
It's very similiar to a teaching method that I use. However, I preface the idea with learning intervals. I think you need to train the ear before you train the eye.

I think learning to hear intervals is one of the best things you can do for yourself as a musician. My ear could use some practice at this.

I always think of a track if I'm unsure of a certain interval.

For fifths I think of the opeing bass riff to 'Song For My Father' by Horace Silver.
For minor thirds I think of 'Whole Lotta Love'.

It's quite handy.

It's a good way to train your ear to have 'prefect pitch' too.

For instance - if I want to pitch a G I think of the first chord in Ziggy Starrdust :)

Back