leakage around door frames??

track one

I was wondering if anyone has some good ideals about door frame insulation or what is the best door frameing materials to use. I have solid seal doors that weight about 150lbs each, but I still have sound leakage from around the door frames, seems to me I can maybe make it less???

If the leakage is through the door frame/wall frame joint and not at the seal between the door and the door frame, you may be able to (gently) pry off the molding around the door frame and get to the problem.

Generally, doors (unless they're put in for the sole purpose of sound proof walls) are just shimmed in place in the rough framed opening, then after the drywall is on, molding is nailed around the opening to make it LOOK finished. The reality is that there are usually MAJOR leaks around the frame as far as sound is concerned.

What can be done is to remove the moldings and fill the gap between the wall frame and the door frame with acoustic grade caulk. Do this all the way around the door, on BOTH sides of the wall, then re-attach the moldings.

Another area of concern, if there is a threshold, is that a lot of them are an aluminum extrusion with a lot of air space. These also need to be filled with acoustic grade caulk to minimise leaks there. You would need to remove the threshold, caulk it full, and replace it... Steve

Back