LDC Help.

well, I have a 2001 and if it is anything like it's predecessor it doesnt come close to comparing. After being quite impressed with some cheap behringer condensers I decided to go against the grain and spend a little more money on some mxl's. So I bought a lot of 4 of them off junkbay and despite their fancy appearance i quickly decided they were all pretty useless. I should have listened to everyone and stayed away, would have been better off buying one good condenser or stacking up on a bunch of throw away behris. just my opinion.

well, I have a 2001 and if it is anything like it's predecessor it doesnt come close to comparing. After being quite impressed with some cheap behringer condensers I decided to go against the grain and spend a little more money on some mxl's. So I bought a lot of 4 of them off junkbay and despite their fancy appearance i quickly decided they were all pretty useless. I should have listened to everyone and stayed away, would have been better off buying one good condenser or stacking up on a bunch of throw away behris. just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply.

Have you tried the Rode NT1A? What kind of pre amp did you use with the mxl 2001?

I think the 2001 sucks in a way that a lot of other MXLs don't. I've got one, too, and it really sucks. Great to practice soldering on.

In that general price range, I'd probably steer you towards the CAD M177 ($120 from RMCAudioDirect) or M179 ($130 for B-stock from Front End Audio). There are a fair number of folks on this board who use them, and they tend to be less harsh and brittle sounding than the Chinese condensers.

In that general price range, I'd probably steer you towards the CAD M177 ($120 from RMCAudioDirect) or M179 ($130 for B-stock from Front End Audio). There are a fair number of folks on this board who use them, and they tend to be less harsh and brittle sounding than the Chinese condensers.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about CAD. I was thinking of buying a CAD 7 piece drum mic kit also. Thanks, I'll check them out.

Don't know much about their drum kit setups. From reading people's comments, I suspect that their small diaphragm condensers are at best so-so. Probably no worse than any of the other cheap SDCs, but not dramatically better. Their LDCs, though, are definitely good, IMHO.

Back