Lcr

I don't know. Many professional recordings disagree with that. It seems like a blanket statement to say it never works for rock music recordings. In fact, the opposite is true.

He's not saying it never works. He's referring specifically to the phase issue that he mentioned.

In fact, he said this earlier:

I mostly mix LCR.

Now, if we can only find the guy that allegedly said there was "something wrong with LCR", we can clear up all the comprehension problems in this thread. :D

He's not saying it never works. He's referring specifically to the phase issue that he mentioned.

i guess that was more intended for the last few posts instead of directly at Farview. Just the way i interpreted the conversation to be going, and not directly at him. I didn't quote his response for that reason.

hey, i'm relatively new and trying to figure this crap out - so it's good to see the supposed pros and cons and everyones feelings on it, that's all my intentions were.

Right. OK, seemed like you were responding to Farview.

I still haven't seen anyone in this thread say it doesn't work or that there's something wrong with LCR. Maybe I missed something in the three times I went back and checked.

No, there is nothing wrong with it. However, the more instruments that you have going at the same time, the less practical the LCR approach becomes. By the time you have 20 or 30 parts going at once, you might have to pan some of them between center and hard, just to get separation.

But for a standard drums, Bass, guitar, vocals, keyboards mix, it will normally work pretty well.

I just mix in mono and call it done.:D No one listens or pays attention to my tunes anyway.

No, there is nothing wrong with it. However, the more instruments that you have going at the same time, the less practical the LCR approach becomes.

This pretty much sums up my view on it as well. Where I have used it in the past was on, for example, a folk trio it worked quite well with guitar panned left, bass panned right and vocals/rhythm guitar in the centre. This also happened to match their normal stage layout, just exaggerated it.

On the other hand, where there are lots of different tracks, I find it better to use panning to build a sound stage with each instrument or section given it's own small space.

Wildflowers is a great record on so many levels. It's an excellent reference for me.

I used it once and the song came out pretty well. It had doubled guitars, so I panned them hard l/r along with the overheads. Usually, though, I don't double guitars and will have two distinct guitar parts, so I'll mix from the perspective of what the audience would hear while facing the band. So it really depends. I usually like somewhere between 60-80% panning for guitars and overheads because I feel that's pretty accurate to what an audience would hear, depending how good their seats are. I watch a lot of recordingrevolution on youtube, and Graham really talks up LCR as the way to go, but to me it's simply a tool to use when appropriate.

If you watch any one guy talk about his mixing method, it's easy to get the impression that what he does is THE way to do things. Everyone has their quirks, tricks and superstitions. What ever makes it sound like you want it to is the way to go.

Back