LCD Noise Tips and Tricks

mtardif

I'm getting a very low level hum/buzz (< 60hz) from my Sony 19" LCD monitor through the line input on my mixer and into my sound card. I thought maybe something in my rack chain was causing it, but I disconnected everything one by one until I accidentally turned off the monitor. The buzz instantly went away. I've been through this forum and others and am trying to come up with some alternative things myself and others can try to get rid of the interference with LCD's.

Here's what I've got so far. If anyone has any other suggestions...please let me know!

1) Direct box the input signal (or some other ground lift device)
2) Some people got rid of the hum by cranking up the brightness level on the monitor
3) Turn off the monitor right before hitting 'Record'
4) Buy a new LCD monitor :)

Any other ideas?

what kind of soundcard do you have. I'm wondering if this will still happen when you use a soundcard that has its imputs on a a breakout box such as the EMU 1820M or the delta 1010

M-Audio Duo. It's definitely picking up interference on the line into the mixer and not at the card itself. If unhook that line, my outputs to the sound card are crystal clear.

Yeah...I just hooked up a DI to the input line between my gate/compressor and mixer. Flipped on the ground lift and now the output to my card is fine. Looks like the LCD is interfering with both my mic pre and gate/compressor and not the mixer or sound card.

Same case here..

My setup is really simple:
Mic/signal -> M-Audio DUO -> computer

I got hum when my LCD is on, turn it off everything works fine
I try to take away my DUO from the LCD, problem still exist.

The good news is: my DUO is burnt, I have an excuse to buy a replacement..

BTW the driver for the DUO really sucks, at least for my PC.
While using MME driver the sound could suddenly go away.

laiben

Sucks about your DUO. I've actually had pretty decent luck and results with mine over the past year and a half or so. But like with you...I'll hang on to it until it craps out and then spend some money on a decent firewire card.

Could it be your AC power supply? My LCD has a transformer power supply ("wall wart") rather than an internal supply with an IEE cord. You might try routing the AC or moving the transformer away from audio signal lines.

I use fiberoptics, which are immune to this problem, so I'm guessing.

Back