layout/treatment ideas

IronFlippy

Dedicated To My Member
I have a terrible room to work with, but I'm moving out in a few years so I don't want to make any permanent changes to the room.

The room currently has carpet, but there is a hardwood floor underneath. The carpet is being removed later this year, and the oak floor is going to be refinished.

Unfortunately, the bed needs to stay. The dresser could possibly be moved out, if necessary. This is the best that I could come up with for a layout. I'm keeping the desk in the center of the wall for symmetry. I figure the dresser could act as a diffuser if I tamper around with it a bit. Good/bad idea?

I'd like to get some 703 on the walls with the keyboard and bed, as well as the ceiling, to cover the first reflections of the monitors. Bass traps in the corners with the bed and keyboard, but I'm not sure what to do with the back wall with all of those doors. Ideas?

The ceiling is 8 ft high everywhere. A box with a nook in it :( . I'm not sure if it would be better to move the desk to the wall with the keyboard, since the room is longer that way. The only problem with that layout is access to the bathroom (bottom left door). I'm also considering putting the desk along the wall with the dresser, so the bass traps could be in the rear of the room. I'm not sure what I'd do with the first reflection points though, since there are windows/doors in the way in both of those configurations.

Ideas?

Attachments

• room layout.jpg
    room layout.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 109
With the layout you have, your plan is pretty sound. The dresser won't do diddly for diffusion though. I'd rather see an absorber there to kill the null off the back wall. I'd also make sure I get something in the corner back by the 2 doors in the upper left part of the drawing.

Bryan

Thanks guys!

TexRoadKill: If I put my desk there, then I wouldn't be able to treat the first reflection point to my right, the door on the left of the drawing gets in the way.

bpape: There really isn't any room in that corner. The space from the doors to the corner is about 6 inches tops.

Here's a slight revision. The dresser would be in the way of any treatment, so I had to move it. The red lines are the areas of treatment. Would 703 work in all of them? What should I do about the corners?

Attachments

• room layout copy.jpg
    room layout copy.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 62
Treat the corners up front as much as possible. I'd still try something in that back corner. You can buy or build something that will easily slide in and out of the way when you need to use the doors.

703 will work fine in those locations but I'd make the one on the rear wall maybe 3-4" thick.

Bryan

Back