Layering multiple guitar tracks

enferno

i've always wondered, how the fuck do these bands that record so many guitar tracks mix them so they don't sound like complete ass? i mean, i've heard that linkin park does as many as 50 layers.

how do you even go about mixing something like that?

the most i've done is 3. play the same track 3 times, pan them hard left, hard right, and center. it sounds good to me. but just out of pure curiosity, how do you mix more than that and have it sound decent?

I regularly use several guitar tracks to try and get a fuller sound, although I don't necessarily try to get the same kind of sounds as linkin park. It is just a matter of capturing several different sounds and mixing them together in varying levels to get "the" sound. Tracking guitars with alot less distortion and doing several performances instead of 1 really distorted pass will yield a much clearer and fuller sound. On top of that, doing several takes with very different tones will thicken it up alot as well. I usually hard pan heavy guitars left and right, sometimes with 6 or more performances per side, run them to a stereo buss and adjust the levels of the individual tracks until it sounds right.

Here is a short clip that I posted elsewhere on the forum for some opinions on heavy guitar tone. This is nothing like a Linkin Park sound, but I usually go for a really up front and aggressive tone so the palm mutes really bite!
This is 6 performances with actually very little gain which add up to an extremely crunchy sound. This may not be a sound that you like at all, but I thought it was a good example of layering.

layering example

I ususlly record 8 rythm guitar tracks for layering. That sounds good to me. I don't feel the need to do more....YET. :D The secret is precise playing. you've GOT to be EXACT and play it the same way...EXACTLY....every time. Consistency is key. That's all there is to it. If you have good gear and a good siganl, you should be able to do that as many times as you want and mix it to sound great.

so i guess the main thing is vary the tones, less distortion then u think u need, and i am wondering what u do when u are combining the rythmn, lead, and perhaps another part, like take faint by linkin park, i know that there are 3 different guitar melodies in that song. two that are just at an octave and on that play a variation....how would i mix to get that type of sound?

o yeah and how come there isn't a pro tools part to this forum???

a couple of tips...

know the part very, very well

play only to the kick and snare (if possible) and click

don't monitor previous trackings

Metalhead gave you some good advice. First and foremost vary the tone for some of the passes. Less distortion, more midrange, etc.., whatever you think will blend well with the tracks that will be upfront.

Also, change the way the part is played slightly. If it's power chords you're layering, do a pass or two playing octaves. Do a couple passes playing at a different position on the neck.

Also, layering some baritone guitar tracks in there can do wonders.

And yeah, definitely know the part extremely well.

Back