Layering Hip Hop Hooks

KaSe MuNNy

Whattup y'all, I was wondering how y'all go about layering hooks in hip hop. (like panning and how many stacks, etc.) And also, do you add effects to each separate track or do you mix them all down dry and then add effects?

- Kase

mixandmaster said:
Look into SyncroArts VocAlign plugin if you plan on doing heavy stacks. Indespensible.

I was looking at that plug, there's a section in the Motu DP manual about it. Looked pretty sweet for backing vocal tracks, and it also mentioned being useful for instrument layers. Good call.

I was looking at info about the plug in and it looks tight, but all the places I saw had UK prices on it. Anyone know the price of it in the US? And also, I downloaded a demo version of it and it says to install it into the Plug Ins folder in Cool Edit. I looked and there is no plug ins folder, so I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can install the plug in so that I can actually start using it within Cool Edit? Thanks y'all.

KaSe MuNNy said:
I was looking at info about the plug in and it looks tight, but all the places I saw had UK prices on it. Anyone know the price of it in the US? And also, I downloaded a demo version of it and it says to install it into the Plug Ins folder in Cool Edit. I looked and there is no plug ins folder, so I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can install the plug in so that I can actually start using it within Cool Edit? Thanks y'all.
It shouldn't matter much to CoolEditPro where you install it. It's not a bad idea to create a plig-ins folder somewhere on you system just for organization's sake, but it's not necessary to CEP to do so.

Install the plug-in where you like. Then go the Edit screen in CEP, pull down the "Effects" menu and select "Refresh Effects List". CEP will automatically scan your system for DirectX effects and include them in your available effects list regardless of their location on your system.

Note: If this is a VST-style plug-in, CEP will not recognize it. You'll need to get a DirectX "wrapper" for VST (they are available in the Internet) to run VST plug-ins in CEP.

G.

i have tried layering/stacking of vocals. i kinda like the "sound" that is created . . . but i also have simply "duplicated the track" at times as well. the "double" voice sound is eliminated though. and the volume tends to be in need of major "downsizing" when i do this.

and feedback??

I find that tracking the vocals two or more times, and layering it from there provides the most creative sounding results.

RhythmRmixd said:
I find that tracking the vocals two or more times, and layering it from there provides the most creative sounding results.

I usually go at least 4 takes and then mix to my desired results

Back