Latin Thing

XLR

______
Latin Thing

Nylon string guitars with percussion and bass backing. An improvisation over a well known progression. Thanks Tonio for the excellent perc track.

How's the guitar/perc/bass balance? Stereo spread? Notice anything else?

All comments appreciated.

I think the volume levels are fine here...nothing seems to be too crowded. Nice playing all around...very good sounds on this. Mix seems pretty clean to me...I like it. :D

Nice stuff Tim, sounds authentic. No nits here, its a nice balance and a mellow listen.
bass balance?
I am not hearing a lot of bass but I have headphones on. It doesnt sound particularly bass-light, I just cant hear that much of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR
Excellent playing as always Tim.... Mix sounds great, percussion and guitars blending just right on my speakers. :)

Wish I could play like that.

Everything sounds well-balanced to me. I don't know if you used reverb or not, but it sounds like you just played in a nice room. The percussion actually sounds like it's behind the guitars which is cool, is it real or did you use some sort of drum/percussion machine? It sounds real.

dogman, DavidK, ido1957, danny.guitar - thanks guys for checking it out. Danny, the percussion sounds to me like Tonio used a bit of synth stuff mixed in with real hand percussion.

I did some tweaking of it for my MySpace page, thinning the low-mids a little as I noticed their conversion boosted the lower range a bit. Latin Thing Thinner

Sounds nice. I would compress the bass a bit and bring it up more.
Thanks man. I just replaced the original file with a new mix that has a bit more bass, and different EQ on the backing gtr and percussion for clarity. I'm thinking though that a bit of limiting on the mix might make the whole thing pop more as maybe, even given the style, it's too laid back in overall effect.

Excellent man.... Maybe if I had better guitar I could sound that good too.

chazba

Last edited:
Sounds great though the bass doesn't get much space - it sounds fine when there's a spcae in the music for it but is often crowded out.
Somnabula Samba?
Crikey you do what you do SO WELL!

Hey Tim, are you using those Naiant mics for this? I've been thinking of getting some of the MSH-2 ones. Wondering what you think of the ones you have. Thanks.

Last edited:
jfrog, cmhansen, zazz, chazba, rayc - Thanks for your comments. Chris, no, not the Naiant mics on the guitar this time though they would have worked well. Excellent mic's.

Last edited:
Very sweet.

I was listening to the original version and was going to suggest giving the bass a little more 'attack' (no surprise coming from me!). The second version definitely sounds better.

What kind of bass is it, and how was it recorded?

Very sweet.

I was listening to the original version and was going to suggest giving the bass a little more 'attack' (no surprise coming from me!). The second version definitely sounds better.

What kind of bass is it, and how was it recorded?
Thanks very much Incanus. Don't know about the bass recording as I just have it as part of the perc track that Tonio did. But I'll ask him shortly and get back to you here.

I really dig this. I don't think the bass is too low, but maybe it could be bumped with some low end just to fill my sub a little more.

The only complain I have is how robotic the ride cymbal is.

Other than that, man this sounds good and is soo chill.

Latin Thing

Nylon string guitars with percussion and bass backing. An improvisation over a well known progression. Thanks Tonio for the excellent perc track.

How's the guitar/perc/bass balance? Stereo spread? Notice anything else?

All comments appreciated.

Great stuff as usual XLR!
I tweaked the stereo file a bit, added some EQ, reverb and mild compression.
To me it sounds clearer but warmer.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=11714

Let us know what you think! :)

Eck

A lot of people have commented on the bass.
The mix could definitely be improved by getting a more distinct bass sound.
I would try boosting with a medium/thinish Q at around 500Hz to start maybe, then try going up the Hz to see what sounds best to boost at.
I like the deep low end on the bass so I would maybe leave that as is and boost the mids.

Eck

Back