Latest Work Mix

I like this one. I'd like to hear the guitars a bit better. The drums sound pretty good, maybe you could brighten up the snare just a teeny tiny bit. It has that cardboard box sound a little too much. That's really all I hear that I would change. If the vocals a just scratch, then they're gonna kick when you get them like you want them 'cause they sound good already.

Ah! cool, cool, cool
Like that open hi-hat sound, not peircing very fitting.

Vocals do spoil it a little as they are sounded flat to me at times MHO but you did say they were scratch. I personaly like more snap on the snare but it's all subjective.

You are way more expirienced than me. I don't know if you were even looking for feedback. Well... why else would you post.

I'm not a big fan of compression yet. But it seems to me latelly and it's partly my question to you that it is a nesesary "evil" in order to have instruments more defined and distinct in the mix.
I might be wrong. The reason I ask is becuase I listen to this tune over and over and that's what makes the drums so controled isn't it, compression? I think I'm rambling a little here. This is great stuff and I'm trying to learn what I can from it.
thanks for posting

Nice website by the way.

Very nice and refined recording.

cheers

Thanx Guys

Thanx for the comments guys. I appreciate your input. Even tho it's a work mix I quickly went back, brightened the snare a bit. This drummer usually has a decent kit but this time his heads were tired out and stretched beyond any decent tonality.

I did use a bit of compression on the main buss (PSP Vintage Warmer) just for this mix but when it's done and ready to ship to the mastering dude there won't be any limiting type stuff on the main buss. I didn't use any compression on any tracks (and haven't in about 6 months) aside from laying a bit down with the scratch vocals. So here's the new work mix. This album should be done in a few months...Cheers!

(( Work Mix - 2nd Mix ))

Sonic
Sonic Valley

That made a big difference. The drums sounded much better with the snare snapping a bit more and it really helped to hear the guitars better. I know it's a work mix but it "works" a lot better now. :D It's amazing what a small change in the mix does.

AHA

how do you like the vintage warmer?

I tried the demo and I quite liked it. What do you find that it does to your mixes?

What is that word in the lirics???
"You better get your ??? before your ??? leaves you cold..."
I can't make it out and it bugs me. :)

Ye that snap makes a difference to my ear.
very nice recording

Thanx Bob. It's always nice to test drive a new tune and get more sets of ears in on it.

I really like the Vintage Warmer. It's slowly replaceing my Ultra Maximizer. For now till I get used to how it reacts I've been putting it the main buss while I work. Not in the final mix. It's in the buss so I can hear it all the time even when solo'n tracks. Gives me a constant preview of it on the mix as well as other instruments/tracks as they're soloed. I really like it so far. I can hear a big difference in the bottom end punch department.

As for Lyrics...well again they're reference tracks only. You should hear the other tunes...rough ain't the word. Cheers!

Sonic
Sonic Valley

dude

I have just downloaded a bunch of songs (took ages). they all so far are outstanding!

This is just fantsastic. Firstly, I don`t think the vocals are weak. There is a lovely feel especially at the start, Perfect backing and reverb. I am using my headphones.

Almost DaveMathews Band style combined with a bit of British influence. Really, really, great. the drums are perfect and the guitars are really warm. I can`t say much more but i rather enjoyed this. Top dog and I can`t wait for more...

I actually thought the second mix, the snare 'thinned' up a bit as compared to the first version. But...when the verse starts, it takes on a new, better sound...You must have made changes for the different sections of the song. I like the feel of the tune, and the recording so far. Unfortunately, I feel the vocals are the weak point to a good sounding, singable tune. There seems to lack a maturaty to the vocals, for a lack of a better description. Chicks will probably dig this, however. A unique instrument for a solo section..even if just a pair of measures would be nice....like a flute, whatever....or even a instrument not in the basic rhythm section, like even a piano would be a neat change. The drum roll around the 3 min mark was killer...could stand a couple more of those stereo dudes going around the kit....
Post the completed version, if you would....when done.

btw, don't be such a stranger....board hopping is acceptable!!:eek:

Thanx mixmkr, I didn't change the mix cept a bit of high shelving on the drum group (The hats are louder now) I agree about the vocals. I've worked with Tim on a few albums over the years and it seems he changes vocal styles each time...lol

I did consider some piano on this tune. I will be adding another guitar part. Something I hear is a hollow body with a mellow loose distortion. A few of the other tunes will have accordian of all things on it. It's going to sound cool. I'm going to put some thought into this tune as far as other instruments go and look forward to any other suggestions you can offer.

I try not to be a total stranger though I must seem like a newbie (well it says so right there...lol) cause I've been here a while but so few posts. I'm always around tho. Cheers!

Sonic

Hey Sonic
(It's Laura from beam.to/arlibido)
some guy posted this on my site.. the song sounds amazing! great job!.. it sounds a lot different than arlibido used to.. is that jesse and dj backin tim up? anyways just wanted to tell you that it sounds awesome and you should post songs on my site when they're done too.. anyways talk to ya later

~Laura

This groove is cool and hypnotic almost. I like the recording and the mix. The verse starts taking me in and I'm into the rhythm and the rhythm of the words and melody. However, the chorus doesn't lift me into anything new. The chords change, but at first the melody is rhythmically and note for note almost identical to the verse. I'm craving hearing it go somewhere else at the chorus. Its a golden opportunity to sweep away the listener there, and it isn't being taken advantage of. Too much of the same gets monotonous.

I know this sounds critical, and I don't want to sound negative. I just think this song is 80% done and could be a monster with some changes. Please forgive me, but I am being honest and basing my opinion on 30 years of songwriting experience. I normally don't come out and say this kind of stuff, but I feel like you have a potentially incredible song here. Do me a favor, and count how many times in a row you hear the same melody and rhythm before it finally does change. Its too much of the same for too long. It needs a climate change.

Of course, it could be just me. In which case, feel free to discard any or all of what I am saying. Its just my opinion, after all but I'm sure any publisher would say the same thing to you. I'm saying this, trying to shine a light and spark something positive, but I have a lingering feeling I'm making a mistake by opening my mouth. If so, I am sorry. I truly don't mean to rain on this song. I just know it can be better. Peace.

I hear Cold Play at the beginning vocals of the verse...

and then as it gets more to the chorus, I hear Goo Goo Dolls...

both good things, it works well...I like the vocals a lot. i like this tune...

I agree that the chorus doesn't quite sweep you away. I'd like you go into a higher register just a tad...in the chorus...and more of a melody change..

I think the verse is totally there....

Listen to "Here Is Gone" by the Goo Goo Dolls....I think the "feeling" of that chorus is something that could work really well for this....I have a feeling when I go to bed in a few minutes....if anything, i will have the verse stuck in my head - but might not be able to remember the chorus exactly....so, bait up that chorus a bit and hook me like the pop slut that I am.

Cool recording..the new snare is much better....bottom end sounded a tad muffled to me...but, probably disregard that...becuase I have been listening to tons of stuff on the clinic and the one before this could have just been bright. I really don't know...hehe...after about 25 seconds my ears adjusted and it sounds great now. Just thought i would throw that out there...but, I am sure I am wrong..

By the way Fed - i think the mystery vocal you mentioned was "Courage"..."Coo-ridge" ;) Cool lyrics...I dig the ocean thing.

-Wes

Oh - I love the acoustic lead at the beginning of the song...and the acoustic back track you have in the verse....that little picking pattern...that *makes* it for me

I agree that this is definitely a pretty killer track, and with mix about that drum roll round 3:00 rockin, I wish he'd do it again though. Also agree that chicks will dig this track. I can't say too terribly much about this track except that it feels slightly anti-climactic if you know what I mean. I think there could be some sort of peak mainly with the vocals towards the end, maybe just Tim (I think) shouting out a few times, something to really pound it home. Anyways, nice work, keep em coming and get your damn post count up!!!!

Laj

Hey thanx for all the critique guys. Although this is a work mix I can't take much credit for the song writing. I did write that little gtr lick in the front which was laid down with an acoustic just to get the idea down. This week end we're starting another round of guitar tracks, electrics.

So here's my question to you. I can't alter the song now as far as writing goes. What would you suggest in the chorus as far as production goes to lift it up?

crawdad...I appreciate your comments. I don't get offended easily by honest critiques, I do get offended by people holding back or blowing smoke up yer arse or not being honest. I hate that...lol. So even tho I have no control over this clients tune writing wise at this point we can do something production wise. Suggestions?

Sonic
Sonic Valley

Last edited:
Hey, I liked the song overall but I agree with the comments on the melody of the chorus. I was sort of lulled to sleep by it, like the melody was a little too common to draw my attention to what should be a climax of the song. I think that a few tweeks to it could help.

I would also suggest that writing a stronger harmony would help beef it up. I know that those were scratch vocals, but I think that was part of the problem for me. The backing vocal wasn't creating harmony, it was just kind of a doubled falsetto, do you know what I mean?

Anyway I hope this helps a little. Overall it was a nice sound.

I guess all you can hope for Sonic is to add more musical climax...in the chorus...

some trademark sound that only comes in there....something with keyboards...maybe some kind of backing percussion like bells or something...

i have no clue...something to make it seem important.

This is a good song and has good potential. It sounds very goo goo dolls'ish. I mean that as a compliment.

So here's my constructive comments as I assume that's what you're looking for:

I want to hear that singer really dig what he's singing. I think it will help a lot. He sounds like he's really good and just needs to be more comfortable with the song and take control of it. I know it's a scratch but it's a good start imo.

I agree with John Wayne about the chorus in it's current state. It's sorta bland. Needs thicker harmony.

Also agree with crawdad about wanting something to keep pulling me into the song. The singer could improvise and change the character of that recurring melody to keep it interesting.

Maybe it's just me, but that bass guitar sounds like it's going flat in a couple of places. Check out the third beat in the second measure. Is it me? it also sounds a little thin in the mix but that could be my headphones.

I'm also partial to using a Hammond B3 in the right places. That's definitely a personal bias though ;)

Back