Latency & Sync between 2 Adjacent A/D Converters...???

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
hello...

first of all...w/ A/D conversion...is latency EVER an issue when tracking...???

[i.e., I know it's not in the analog domain...several source signals coming into a console, for example; & being output to the ADC. But as to the latency created by the conversion itself...if any...as output to a pc daw...does that exist...???]

reason I ask is...I'm going to have 2 different ADC's outputting to the same daw.

I'm attempting to set up a mobile reccording rig, which will consist of a rack of different preamps...a Lynx Aurora 8 AD/DA converter; & an ADK Core II audio pc, running SONAR.

my 'analog only' preamps (Sytek & Grace) will be feeding the Aurora 8.

The Aurora 8 sends AES/EBU digital to an AES16 pci card in the ADK box.

The AES16 also has a 2nd HD26 port on board, to accept an additional 8 I/O channels of AES/EBU digital.

so...I'm thinking about aquiring an RME OctaMic II preamp...w/ onboard ADC...& which also sports a DB-25 AES/EBU digital output...

...which will give me an additional 8 channels of digital into the AES16; & on to SONAR & the HD in the ADK pc. I'll have 16 total, for live tracking.

now, the RME OctaMic II can be clocked externally via AES/EBU...so I don't believe I'll need the word clock (as the AES16 will master & the RME will slave)...

...but...

what about the notion of 16 different analog sources split between two ADC's...???

say I'm tracking an entire band... 6 to 8 mics on the drums...several more mics on instruments...maybe a few on live vocals. half of those live signals will be converted by the Lynx & the other half converted by the RME.

should there be any concern over any difference in internal latency between the two converters, if any...???

I know the syncing of everything that's coming into the AES16 will be handled by the AES16...but what if half of those digital signals arrive at a slightly different time, due to different internal latencies between the two converters...???

[sorry for the lengthy explanation...this is the only way I could think of to present what may (or may not) be a problem].

thanks,

mf

Back