Latency problem with the Tascam US-122

Jackrip

First of all I jsut wanna say I checked a few other threads about this and it didnt answer my question.

OKay well I have two recording programs...Adobe Audition and CUbase LE. When I use the tascam with Cubase and I have teh latency at 256.. the beat I am ttrying to record vocals over skips and stutters and there is a crackle I hear in my headphones. so I change it to 512 and it gets alot better but still noticable issues.. I change it to the one above 512(forgot the exact number) and its fine... but lower is latency is better.

But when I use Adobe, I have no latency issues at all.

Whats wrong?

Hey

it could be that your computer is struggling but then i guess audition should struggle too?

anyway, try these

1. above where you change the latency (256, 512....) there is a box to do with buffers. Try making the size of the buffers smaller

2. if that doesnt work, then use direct monitoring to record. In cubase, turn of monitoring on the track (little speaker icon) and on the us-122 itself, turn the direct monitoring switch to 'on'

Well I already use direct monitoring to record with the US-122, its my favorite feature since I cna hear the vocals as I am recording.. but thanks I wil try the buffer size thing and see if it works.

but if you are using direct monitoring, this bypasses the computer. the signal goes into the 122 and then straight back out, so latency is not a factor.

dont think i quite understand your question properly

(just make sure that you are not 'direct monitoring' on the 122 and monitoring through cubase at the same time)

I dont direct mintor through Cubase at all, so doing them at the sametime is not gonna be a problem and yes I have direct mintoring on the US-122, and its crannked all the way up, so if its supposed to bypass the comp, then my US-122 is the one stressing.

the us122 has a latency of 1.5ms i think. and the us122 wont ever have latency if you are using direct monitoring.

if the beat you are trying to record over is skipping, crackling, etc, then this is the computer being too slow.

just to make sure: you are recording vocals over a beat that is already recorded in cubase. When you click 'record', the beat plays and the vocals begin to record, but the beat skips and stutters. and you are direct monitoring through the us122 and not through cubase.

if what i just wrote is how you are doing it, then latency does not matter at all. latency only applies to signals going into cubase and being played back in real time (live). if ur not monitoring through cubase, then the computer does NOT have to play the audio back in real time. pre recorded audio being played back is not affected by latency.

so if you direct monitor through the us122 when recording, and not through cubase, you should set the latency to the highest (i think its 1024 or 2048), as this will let most of ur computing power go towards playing the pre recorded audio and storing the track that is recording, and hopefully stop the beat from skipping

bennym1219 said:
the us122 has a latency of 1.5ms i think. and the us122 wont ever have latency if you are using direct monitoring.

if the beat you are trying to record over is skipping, crackling, etc, then this is the computer being too slow.

just to make sure: you are recording vocals over a beat that is already recorded in cubase. When you click 'record', the beat plays and the vocals begin to record, but the beat skips and stutters. and you are direct monitoring through the us122 and not through cubase.

if what i just wrote is how you are doing it, then latency does not matter at all. latency only applies to signals going into cubase and being played back in real time (live). if ur not monitoring through cubase, then the computer does NOT have to play the audio back in real time. pre recorded audio being played back is not affected by latency.

so if you direct monitor through the us122 when recording, and not through cubase, you should set the latency to the highest (i think its 1024 or 2048), as this will let most of ur computing power go towards playing the pre recorded audio and storing the track that is recording, and hopefully stop the beat from skipping

Hey man thanks... that really helped me.. I just always thought that a LOW latency was better then high when recording.. but you are telling me that a high latency is better? will it improve quality at all? Or just stop my comp from stressing?

latency has no effect on the recording quality.

just so you know, latency is the time between you saying "boo", and your computer playing that audio back

think of monitoring as two types: monitoring through cubase, and monitoring through the us122.

Cubase:
if you click the little speaker icon on the track ur recording, then you are monitoring the input signal through cubase. when you do this, you want the latency to be LOW, cause then the time between you saying "boo" and you hearing it being played back is short.

us122 monitoring:
if you direct monitor through the us122, then the audio signal goes into the 122 and then straight back out again, so this has nothing to do with ur computer.

now, to monitor through cubase, you want low latency (so that there is no delay between you saying "boo" and you hearing it back from ur computer). but to do this, it requires alot of processing power from ur computer.

if you direct monitor (through the us122), then you can set the latency to be high cause the audio isnt going through the computer. this the allows the computers processing power to go towards other things, so ur computer wont struggle as much

sorry its like an essay, it took me a while to get it at first

What you saying sorry for? The more you tell me, the more I understand and I appericate it.

So with a High latency, the audio is all on the US-122.. and the 24-bit sound can be optimized then?

Because I know it says 24-bit, but I had doubts on it really recording at 24-bit because I didnt seem much of an improvement then when I didnt have the Us-122.

make sure that you have selected the 24bit ASIO drivers in cubase

devices > device setup > vst multitrack > ASIO US-122 (24 bit) <<<(under the drop down menu that says 'ASIO Driver'

also make sure that the cubase project ur working on is set to 24 bit recording:

project > project setup > record format > 24 bit

Back