Latency Occuring While Mixing/Playback

nishantgarg

I have a M - Audio Fastrack Pro and Shure SM 58. I am facing a latency problem with the tracks I am recording on Cubase 5. The process I follow to record a vocal track on Cubase 5 is -

1. Setting up a 'New Project' in Cubase 5 and checking on with the Device Setup + VST Connections.

2. Then I import an audio file (Karaoke) to record with.

3. Then I go to the 'Project' menu and add a mono audio track to record vocals.

4. I use the monitoring option in Cubase and not my hardware while recording.

5. I slect the 'Record' & 'Monitoring' option on the mono audio track and start recording.

Now The Problem - There is no latency while recording or even while I playback the recorded track in the same project itself but for example if I import the same Karaoke I recorded on and the recorded audio track in a 'New Project' or some other software, there is a latency of around 1 second in the recorded track. The complete track then goes out of sync.

Please Help.

Please Note

I din't face a problem with softwares like Adobe Audtion. The tracks recorded with Audition where always in sybc with te Karaoke track. The calculated latency amount is just about 5. something ms.

I have a M - Audio Fastrack Pro and Shure SM 58. I am facing a latency problem with the tracks I am recording on Cubase 5. The process I follow to record a vocal track on Cubase 5 is -

1. Setting up a 'New Project' in Cubase 5 and checking on with the Device Setup + VST Connections.

5. I slect the 'Record' & 'Monitoring' option on the mono audio track and start recording.

Now The Problem - There is no latency while recording or even while I playback the recorded track in the same project itself but for example if I import the same Karaoke I recorded on and the recorded audio track in a 'New Project' or some other software, there is a latency of around 1 second in the recorded track. The complete track then goes out of sync.

Please Help.

Firstly, it is worth your while not using software monitoring and instead using hardware monitoring. This may be the source of the problem.

Secondly, if your recorded vocal track is in line with the backing track on recording and playback, why do you need to go into another project?

Basically I forgot to save a project in Cubase after recording, so I had to create a new project the next time I wanted to mix the recorded tracks. But when I imported the karaoke track I recorded on and all the vocal tracks, I faced this problem of latency.. All the tracks that I recorded were in sync with each other but were not in sync with the karaoke track. All tracks played around 1 second late...

At times I also use different softwares for mixing and editing, but after this delay issue, I am not able to do that.

Note: Trying the same with Nuendo 2 decreased this delay. Recorded tracks through Adobe Audtion are also always in sunc.

i found a latency difference between cubase 4le (which i am currently using) and mackie tracktion..tracktion has very little while cubase has quite a bit. I run thru a tascam 1641 interface and found i could just change the latency thru the control panel of the 1641. although it does put more "strain"on your cpu it is an option if you like running cubase more than others

According to me the problem is in the timing on the backing track, I feel the karaoke track plays one second late in Cubase when I hit the Recording button....

Now The Problem - There is no latency while recording or even while I playback the recorded track in the same project itself but for example if I import the same Karaoke I recorded on and the recorded audio track in a 'New Project' or some other software, there is a latency of around 1 second in the recorded track.
Could it be that your new tracks did not begin recording at the exact same start point as the backing track? Then when you imported to the new project they were aligned to the same start point, therefore the offset?

Please Help.

Sounds like the problem is occurring during the import. If you didn't start recording the vocal track at the very beginning of the project then the beginning of the karaoke track and the vocal track have to be at different points on the time line. While that isn't a problem in the original project, when you import those same audio files into a new project, the start times will both be 00:00 thus out of sync.
A way to fix that (if you need to import easily into other projects) is to consolidate the vocal track into one single audio file that is exactly the same length as the music track. When those two files are imported they will be in sync at the beginning of the time line.
Don't know if that was the cause of the problem but it is the most obvious answer! :)

Back