latency in cubase

horizon_scott

hey guy.

i've managed to function with latency for a while now just by using headphones on the tracks im playing along with and hearing whatever i am playing over the top of the track by bleed from my headphones, but ive recently purchased new stuff and am fed up with doing this.

i've had this problem in: audacity (after loads of tweaking with sample rates and such), acoustica mixcraft (likewise) and cubase (fiddled with sample rates again).

what settings on buffer rates on cubase would you reccomend for me? as at first i thought it may just be audacity being bad, baring in mind the latency is only about a second but excruciatingly anoying to listen to!

if it helps at all im using a behringer Xenyx mixer and a HP pavillion dv6000 laptop, which is very fast and new?

cheers.

You just need to keep tweaking your buffer settings till it's ok. There is no specific optimal setting. I varies from PC to PC and depends on a lot of factors. The power of your computer, your soundcard, etc.

The other option is not to monitor your input through Cubase, but through the actual souncard instead. Monitoring through Cubase (ie, when you press the little monitor button that's on each track) you will notice more latency.

What soundcard are you using? Is it onboard sound? If so, you will likely suffer a lot of latency. Doesn't make it unusable, but having a separate soundcard helps, and they aren't too pricey. Worth looking into if you have a little bit of money.

thanks a lot for the fast reply man,

i havent as of yet purchased an external soundcard although im looking into it, i was thinking it may have more to do with onboard settings because a friend of mine used to use the same laptop for recording and had next to no latency.

would you reccomend any particular soundcard for around 100$

cheers.

I like the M-Audio stuff. It's usually pretty inexpensive and has pretty good converters.

It all depends what you're loking for. Check out the M-Audio 2496 to start with. See if it meets your needs. There's a lot of other good stuff out there, but I like M-Audio, so I just tend to stick to what I know.

Just don't get a soundblaster :p

Back