latency asio vs wasapi

doug662

I use reaper and the reason I came here was lack of help and the fact that I seem to be years older than anyone there at reaper. When I set up reaper on my gaming ASUS laptop i was told to install ASIO. Now, my interface is an 8ch multimix alesis. I can get it set with the ASIO4ALL but then i have issues with crackling, when i get rid of that then i have sputtering so i went to WASAPI which i never get set. Do I need an external sound card? It was my impression that my machine had a creative chipset. I really like reaper. And the alesis, but I could get another interface but could someone help me get this set up.:cursing:

PS I am recording lap dobro

thanks
doug662

Last edited:
ok i got my latency to 15ms 44100x448
......no lag time at the moment........ now it seems like when I record for awhile then I get the static and hicups< I did not just now> any and all help is appreciated

The Multimix is getting on now, found a review dated 2008. As multitrack USB2 interface it SHOULD have set the world alight for the price. It didn't and I have read of driver problems.

In contrast the Tascam US 1800 and its siblings HAS been very successful and great value for money.

I would cut my losses and get a modern AI.

Dave.

okay when you say AI are you speaking of the ALESIS? When i first got in a band we had a tascam mixer..............you could not break the thing

WSAPI is very high latency compared to ASIO. Use any ASIO driver that you can instead of the built-in Windows sound APIs.

If you're having trouble with crackling while using ASIO4ALL, then open its control panel and start adjusting the buffer size slider. Lower buffer sizes will yield lower latency but put more of a strain on your CPU (and will cause pops/crackles/stutters if you go lower than your CPU can handle), higher buffer sizes will yield higher latency but be easier on your CPU. Any respectable audio interface should be able to get you well below 10ms of latency. 2-3ms in each direction would be an ideal to shoot for. I'm not sure about the Alesis Multimix in particular, but its an older device that may not be up to current standards.

WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API) is the Microsoft attempt to write low latency drivers. While it's a bit better than WME/WDM drivers, it's still a lot more latency than true ASIO which bypasses Windows entirely.

The trouble with ASIO4ALL though is that it's not true ASIO. It's a wrapper that goes around WME/WDM drivers to make them look like ASIO to your DAW. It'll give you more control but still isn't as low latency as a dedicated ASIO driver.

I'm not clear from your original post whether ASIO4ALL is what Alesis gave you when you downloaded their driver or it's just what you downloaded to try for an improvement. If it's NOT what Alesis is providing, I'd go to the Alesis download site and see what their dedicated driver does: Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 2.0

However, if Alesis is providing ASIO4ALL then i guess you're stuck with it. As you've discovered, turning up the latency/buffer size will get rid of dropouts but, of course, at the expense of, well, latency. If this is the problem you're in, there are a few things you can do to hopefully improve performance.

First, optimise your computer for working with audio. A bit of Googling will find you lots of sites with instructions. Just search for "Optimise Windows (your version) for audio".

Second, ruthlessly shut down everything running in background...especially wifi/net and anti virus software.

Third, when adding effects, make full use of the ability to pre-render effects so your processor isn't doing them all live every time. You can still go back and change things but this can help a lot.

Basically the fewest extras you have going on, the lower you can push latency.

From page 37 of the MMX 8 manual...

Higher latency settings generally allow for more stable audio
performance and generally allow you to run more simultaneous
audio tracks and plugins. The downside is that higher latency
introduces noticeable lag between the time that you perform an
action and the time you listen back to it.
For this reason, many people use lower latency settings when
recording tracks and then switch to higher ones when mixing.

I take from the above that the mixer and its drivers will never give really low latency when recording multiple tracks? the "Ultra Low Latency" claim is therefore a bit of a porky and really only applies if running a couple of tracks and with a very fast computer. But Alesis can be forgiven slightly IMHO. Generally you would multitrack and monitor (on cans) directly from the mixer (in a tape setup it would be your only choice. ) .

Skimming through the manual I see no evidence that ASIO4ALL drivers are being used? As Bobbsy says, make sure you have the current and correct drivers. There is also an option for a firmware update? Might help. N very B. Make sure that connections cannot be disturbed or power removed during such an update.

Dave.

From page 37 of the MMX 8 manual...

Higher latency settings generally allow for more stable audio
performance and generally allow you to run more simultaneous
audio tracks and plugins. The downside is that higher latency
introduces noticeable lag between the time that you perform an
action and the time you listen back to it.
For this reason, many people use lower latency settings when
recording tracks and then switch to higher ones when mixing.

I take from the above that the mixer and its drivers will never give really low latency when recording multiple tracks? the "Ultra Low Latency" claim is therefore a bit of a porky and really only applies if running a couple of tracks and with a very fast computer. But Alesis can be forgiven slightly IMHO. Generally you would multitrack and monitor (on cans) directly from the mixer (in a tape setup it would be your only choice. ) .

Skimming through the manual I see no evidence that ASIO4ALL drivers are being used? As Bobbsy says, make sure you have the current and correct drivers. There is also an option for a firmware update? Might help. N very B. Make sure that connections cannot be disturbed or power removed during such an update.

Dave.

But going back to Dave's first post, you likely need to get a newer audio interface (AI). Just in the past 5 years they've come A LONG WAY.

Onboard sound (in reference to your creative chipset) is rarely up to the task of doing real time multitrack recording. With new interfaces starting around $100, save yourself the agony and get one. Focusrite and Presonus sell popular, cheaper interfaces with low enough latency to solve your issues.

Thanks for the quote Mr P but I think there could be some confusion here?

From the manual extract I quoted it seems the MMX8 WILL do low latency for two tracks? The problem is (AFAICT) the OP wants low latency and EIGHT tracks and the AI/PC is not up to that.

For sure he can get $150ish F'rite or similar with lowish latency for two tracks but it seems to me that just puts him in a box with straight sides of equal length!

Tough call chap, tough call and I fear the flexible friend might be the only solution?

Dave.

Thanks for the quote Mr P but I think there could be some confusion here?

From the manual extract I quoted it seems the MMX8 WILL do low latency for two tracks? The problem is (AFAICT) the OP wants low latency and EIGHT tracks and the AI/PC is not up to that.

For sure he can get $150ish F'rite or similar with lowish latency for two tracks but it seems to me that just puts him in a box with straight sides of equal length!

Tough call chap, tough call and I fear the flexible friend might be the only solution?

Dave.

Yes, true - for more than 2 he'd need to step up to a larger interface like the Scarlett 6i6 or (new) Tascam. The obviousness of his predicament eluded me. :D

ok I left out one major part the problem arose when i started using headphones , if I drop one IEM then I can record no probs mist times. is this a problem with using the monitor function in reaper? Also I have applied all changes to have the PC set for best AUDIO, thank you

OK GETTING THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UMM I have a ALESIS USB AUDIO CONTROL PANEL.......you can set latency there also. What should it be set to? Anyone know

OK GETTING THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UMM I have a ALESIS USB AUDIO CONTROL PANEL.......you can set latency there also. What should it be set to? Anyone know

What options does it give? Can you post a screen shot?

To the option that allows you to work with the least latency and still have audio playback without glitches. Lower size buffer will give less latency but it makes your computer work harder to keep up.

Do please post a screenshot. I thought the Alesis didn't have it's own ASIO drivers, but maybe I am wrong.

One trick that can work is to set latency as low as possible while tracking since that's where too much delay can really be a problem. Simple recording and playback doesn't need a lot of computer power so you can get away with a low latency/buffer size.

However, when mixing and adding effects, the pressure on your system goes way up--but you can tolerate a fraction of a second's delay when you hit play and barely notice the higher latency.

One trick that can work is to set latency as low as possible while tracking since that's where too much delay can really be a problem. Simple recording and playback doesn't need a lot of computer power so you can get away with a low latency/buffer size.

However, when mixing and adding effects, the pressure on your system goes way up--but you can tolerate a fraction of a second's delay when you hit play and barely notice the higher latency.

This is I think the MO Alesis suggest in their manual Bobbs. Have you RTFM'ed Doug?

Dave.

Back