Latencey problem with cubase!

c_r_a_z_y

Hey,

A friend of mine has acquired a version of cubase VST 5.1 and is getting a huge latency problem. He is running it on a (IBM Think pad) lap top which has a 700Mhz processor.
I know this could be any number of things but are thier any main reasons why there should be so much latency.
The latency panel shows that it should only be 750milisecs but it is alot more.
Any help will be apreciated

Cheers
c_r_a_z_y

um...... 750 ms is a lot of Latency. I had that once with Cubase. You need to either change your drivers for you soundcard or reconfigure them.
I used to use ASIO multimedia drivers and that gave me 750 ms of latency. I got it down by cutting down on buffers and sampling rates on them.

"I know this could be any number of things but are thier any main reasons why there should be so much latency."

1. Your soundcard.
2. You need a soundcard that supports ASIO.

It's very unlikely the soundcard in the notebook (crystal, ess, neomagic) will have ASIO drivers written for it.

Only solution I can think of is to use a USB type sound interface (or maybe they make a PCMCIA device) that has ASIO driver support. Steinbergs Cubase should like that, they invented ASIO afterall. I'm a bit puzzled by Neil's reply, ASIO is the way to go, but has to be supported from all fronts.

Emeric said:
[BI'm a bit puzzled by Neil's reply, ASIO is the way to go, but has to be supported from all fronts. [/B]

Yeah, I was puzzled too when I had that much latency. I've got the newest drivers for the interface now though so I'm sorted. :)

Back