Last step of setting up a home studio!

Guess it depends. That and another mic, or another mic that I test out somehow, and a preamp

Why dont you work with the preamps in your interface and buy a mic for a start if you have cash left over dont rush out and buy stuff for the sake of spending it. Take your time it wont take you long before you know what else is required.
Have you got room treatment?
Cables?

hm... So I guess that settles it for mic :/ Does anybody like the AKG C414? And also, is the preamp built-in to Presonus Audiobox 44vsl good enough to compliment the mic?

Actually, I *love* the C414, but I only use it on vocalists who are *very* good. It's a great mic for an Adam Lambert, a Freddy Mercury, a Celine Dion, a Charlotte Church. I don't think it would be my first choice for Willie Nelson or Johnny Rotten. Mostly I use it on acoustic guitar, strings, piano, and some percussion. It's a *very* versatile mic. But- that's exactly what I meant by "right" and "wrong" mics. It was often used as a recording vocal mic by Whitney Houston. Vocal mics are like shoes. Just because they are good shoes doesn't mean that they fit. And- different jobs call for different shoes. Ballet or ice hockey? Give up the idea that by spending the most available money, you will get the best tool for the job. Thar's why studios have more than one main vocal mic.

Mics

Why don't you go to Long and McQuade in Markham? They have a pretty good selection of mics under 1000.00

I have many mics. Some 10 times that price, and you can't just say this mic or that mic is best for you. There are so many factors, hence why I have so many.
You have a tenor voice but do you sing lightly or do you belt it out. What genre of music? Jim Cuddy has a tenor voice and so did Freddy Mercury. I probably wouldn't use the same mic for both.

If you go to the L&M page in Markham, it looks like they have a few on special. I have shopped at L&M for many years and they are a pro dealer and you should be met with great people.
The AudioTechnia 4060 tube unit they have on sale for 890 something is a great mic for vocals but you would have to hear it on yours. They were a lot more when they came out. They also have the CAD mics. Good mics for the price range 400.00 area. At that price you really can't lose. There are so many choices you really have to go look at them. Hear them. They can set something up with a pop screen at the store maybe. They have a 30 day money back guarantee if you are willing to set up an account. That way you can try it at home . Toronto area has many pro audio stores that you can see and try mics.Cosmo music is right in Richmond Hill I see. They carry AudioTechnia as well. You are in the most populated area of Canada. I don't think that would be an issue.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Blue microphone line of $1000 and under under. (Bluebird, Dragonfly, Baby Bottle and Blueberry). I used to have a Blueberry and it sounded great, especially on upfront vocals. Since I already had the C414 (a great all around mic) and I could also use it on instruments, so I decided to keep it instead of the Blueberry. I wanted to buy a tube mic so I sold the Blueberry to help finance my Lawson L251, which for my voice and a lot of other tenors sounds wonderful. But in my opinion and only my opinion, The Bluberry was a better sounding mic than the 414 on my vocal. I hope that this doesn't confuse your issue of which mic to buy but some more food for thought.

Good Luck
Jerry S.

Back