Last recommendations...

Dj17

I just want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff. My budget is sort of tight, but I can still afford to upgrade some parts if need. If you think the chain could be improved (may it be to reduce the cost or to make it better), please say so. I'm going to buy all this stuff soon or at least on a relatively short term, so I,m looking for your last recommendations.

I'll be buying my first soundcard, mixer, monitors, headphones and mics.

Soundcard=Audiophile 2496
Mixer=Yamaha MG10/2
Monitors=Yamaha MSP3
Headphones=Audio Technica ATH-M40fs (I need them for writing late at night and tracking vocals.)
Mics=Studio Projects B1 and SM57.

I need to record guitar, bass, and vocals, and the rest of the production is made using drum machines, synths and software. So, keep in mind everything is close to a computer (I heard computer monitors could cause interferences at some levels... with unbalanced cables... don't know if that's true.)

I didn't necessarily need a mixer (I needed preamps), but it seemed like a good idea to get once since I can link everything to it (monitors, headphones, instruments...) Am I wrong? I could've picked a DMP2 (it was less expensive). Does the DMP2 preamp sound good? Where could I plug my headphones/monitors then?

Speaking of mixers... there's a Soundcraft Spirit Folio Lite for 200$ at the store. Any good, for that price? I might be recording drums when I'll get more mics, so that could be a good idea to get a mixer with better possibilities.

As for the soundcard (AP2496)... besides the MIDI connections, the rest is all RCA, unbalanced... if I link everything to the mixer and the mixer to the soundcard with RCA, unbalanced cables, will I get interference, especially considering I'll be working near a computer monitor? Should I get another soundcard? What would you suggest?

Thanks for reading/answering, I know that was long and that I'm asking for a lot of questions...

i got a new RME multiface(with the pcmcia) for 500 in ebay, man that rme products relly roooocks their drivers and the "Total Mix" are like rocks.

i think is a very nice product, in my opinion better than all the maudios, and motus.

That looks like a pretty descent start. The mixer vs the dmp3 is going to be a tough call. If you don't plan on ever recording more than 2 instruments at once or needing any kind of routing you might go with the DMP3 and spending the extra cash somewhere else. Thats going to be decided by you and your needs. You look like your on the right track.....

Well it's a DMP*2* actually... I don't know what's the difference between that and the DMP3.

I know a dedicated preamp such as a DMP2 would probably be better than the preamps in the MG10/2 mixer anyway, but I don't know where I'll plug the monitors and the headphones, since the soundcard only has RCA and MIDI. I could use the monitors' RCA jack inputs, but then again I'm not sure if this ensures a clean sound, and I couldn't use the headphones.

It doesn't appear so bad with the mixer, for the moment. I might get the DMP3 eventually to make the main vocals...

My main concern now would be that the soundcard can only be connected to the mixer using RCA jacks. Isn't it better to have 1/4 balanced cables, or is it possible to obtain a sound that is just as goodw with RCA?

I just want to avoid bad surprises... :D

Btw... which low-budget soundcard (it's probably more expensive than the 2496) offers 1/4 I/O?

The EMU 0404 offers 1/4" I/O, although not balanced. With the short runs you will be using unbalanced is highly unlikely to be a problem, nor is using RCA's.

The Yamaha 10/2 is a very good choice. You can just run your pre direct to the soundcard ins if you get one, bypass the mixer, set direct monitoring on your PC software and run the outs through the mixer so you can monitor.

On the monitors, if you can, would recommend getting the Wharfedale 8.2 Actives, $275 from Deepwater, probably a similar price to the MSP 3's and in a different league.

Check with Deepwater. His posts are all over the Wharfedale thread. Otherwise buy the hi-fi version and get a separate power amp (that's what I have). Really, you should.

Back