Last calibration question...

mamm7215

I promise...for now...
Ok, I got my demagger and demagged the heads on my TSR-8 that I just got. Noticeable difference in the high end clarity and sparkle so it obviously wasn't done in a while. No biggie. Cleaned heads again, and after quite a bit of use recently by me, almost no residue anywhere so that's good. For calibration, I've done everything I can per the manual that doesn't require a test tape as it should be here today or tomorrow. I used my Fluke multimeter (very good one) to set input levels and output levels (0db-316mv). I can set a track in my E-mu dsp mixer to play a 1K tone-adjust the level to -10, measure on my flukemeter 316mv-adjust each track as necessary. I then set my meters to read 0db when my input/output reads 0db. All good so far. I then got a blank tape on to set my record bias adjustment. Manual says to set it for 35mv between test points 1 and 7 on each card (while recording 1K tone). Ok, no biggie, done. Then set record level. This was a pain as it's a 2 head deck, but I got it done, set the unit to record 0db/316mv when 0db/316mv present at input and output jacks. This is everything I can do without my test tape.
My question:
My calibration tape is for +6 1/2" at 15ips. Now that I've set everything for 0db/316mv on the I/O side and record bias and levels, am I going to need to change anything with the calibration I've done so far? Ie, when I play this tape for say 1K repro, will my outputs still read 0db or will it be different because it's +6? And when I set the machine for +3, am I only adjusting the METER levels, NOT the input levels or anything else? I'm assuming that I've calibrated the machine for all the correct I/O levels and setting the meters is to compensate for the correct flux levels to tape. All I/O adjustments stay calibrated to 0db-316mv relative?
Therefore, if all else is set regarding input/record/output levels at 0db-316mv, all I'll need to do is play 1k from the test tape and set my meters to read +3db (which would mean I'm hitting the tape with +3db when meters read 0)?
I'll of course have to set my eq levels properly as well, 16k and 10k tones...

Last edited:
Back