LAST 2 HEAD SHOTS (with paper trick)

gerard

That's it. I think I bothered you guys enough! Thanks again!

Jerry

Attachments

• Head 6.jpg
    Head 6.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Haed 7.jpg
    Haed 7.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 71
Wear yes....worn out, no.

It really depends on what you will pay for the machine...and what you expect from it, and how much you want to invest into it.
If all you are going to do is record a few tracks with it like the previous owners and move on...then go for it as-is.
If you want to bring it up to spec and have it last a long time....you might send the heads out for a lab report and possible re-lap.

They look worn,but may be savagable if they get relapped now.They almost look like they have been relapped already.A better way to tell would be to look at the fixed guides where the tape enters and leaves the head block assy.Are they badly worn?Do they look like they have been rotated?Worn flat spots other than where the tape rides, and finally the wear on the tape lifters.Is there a big notch the width of the tape worn in the lifters,which will cause edge damage to your tapes.

Thanks again for the replys. The machine would be used in my humble home project studio, just one man band so no hard use. I have a TASCAM M5300, 24 channel board, thought the MS 16 would work well with it. Thanks again.

Jerry

Here's what the machine comes with, hope to get it this weekend. My home project studio is all analog and your right, it is fun!

Tascam MS-16 w/ Meter Module and AQ-65 Auto Locator. I am the third owner of the unit and it is in excellent condition. It was never used in a commercial studio, only hobbiest like me. Cosmetically it is probably one of the nicest you will find anywhere as the buttons look like new. All meters, lights, etc are 100% working. The tape heads still have 80-90% life. I built a really nice custom stand for the MS16 and Meter Module as well as the Auto Locator.

Additional items:

Qty 1- Custom built MS 16 Stand on Castors and Autolocator Stand
Qty 1- MS 16 Operation and Maintenance manual- purchased new from Tascam
Qty 1" MRL calibration tape - still in the wrapper- never used.
Qty 5 rolls of Quantegy 1" tape- Brand new, never used, never opened. All in plastic cases.
Qty 1 roll of RMG 1" tape- Brand new, never opened, never used
Qty 3 Rolls of Ampex 456 used rolls of 1" tape
Qty 1- Metal Take up reel
Qty 1- SV808 Tape Deck, Reel to Reel Head Demagnetizer
Qty 2- Brand new Tascam Metal Reel clampers(set)- Tascam Model # TZ-65. These were an upgrade the plastic ones. The plastic ones were known to break pretty easy. Very difficult part to find. I purchsed the very last pair on the face of the earth from Tascam about 3 months ago. I paid way to much, but they are a great upgrade to the plastic reel clampers

Yes, seller will not ship. I'm in North Alabama and he's willing meet me part-way, it will be about a 5 1/2 hour drive round trip. I can't seem to warm up to digital system, guess I'm to old and set in my ways. Guess I went a little overboard with the "head shot" thing, sorry to all.

Jerry

Doesn't look like they're opening up, certainly could be worse, why don't you send the pics to John Austin at Sprague Magnetics, see what he has to say and get a quote for relap. He did a fine job on my MCI's heads, reasonable price and very nice guy to deal with.

I'd consider the rolls of 456 to not be worth anything more than the flanges, if it's bad (likely) then at least you have flanges for a few pancakes of SM911.

Thanks for tip on John, I'll check it out today. I did send the buyer "one more request" for real close up shots of each head, just to sure. I promise I won't post them! A friend on mine also said they don't look to bad but the tape guide/lifters may need to be turned. It's a shame about the 456, the 911 is the same as 456, right? Also, mind if I ask where you buy your tape? Thanks again.

Talked to John at Sprague, real nice guy! Wanted pictures and he said they look pretty good. Asked me to send the head block to him and will inspect for free. Re-lap for the erase and record head are very resonable with a 2 day turn around. Hope it's OK to say all that. Thanks again briank! Owe ya one.

Jerry

hard to find pancakes for 1" i have never seen them. Tape can be bought on fullcompass.com . heads look good in my opinion. price is not a bargain, but given the goodies, that may be ok, but still not a super deal. But if the machine is as clean as the pictures and low use, then the price is good. only way to know will be a physical inspection. If i were you i will play the MRL tapes on it. THe heads are dirty. Probably because of that ampex tape running on it. To see more you need the head cleaned first.

Back