Large Diaphragm for Acoustic (under $200)

louloomis

Maybe this topic has been beaten to death, but I haven't found this info here yet.

I'm looking to record a solo acoustic piece. I'm using a 12 string. So far I've done some testing with an Audio-Technica ATM31, which sounded pretty on for capturing the guitar's shimmer, to be quite honest with you. Cheap mic, but smooth.

I'd like to augment the miking of this instrument with a large diaphragm to add some depth and fullness to the recording. My budget is $200.00 or less. So far, I've been looking into the Rode NT1-A and Studio Projects B-1 right.

I'd prefer to buy something I'm going to keep for a while, so any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
LL

Of the two mics you've listed I'd go with the B-1. I've got a couple and they do a good job on an acoustic guitar. I'd also suggest you check out a CAD M179 which is a multi pattern mic. Depending on your room if you use this in omni mode you should get a great recording of your 12 string.

Another mic to consider is an M-Audio Luna or Solaris. They are pretty much the same mics with the Solaris being a multi pattern LDC. The M179 and the Luna can be bought for under $200 while the Solaris will cost you $50 to $100 more but if you watch ebay you can pick up all of these mics for less if you find them used. Here's a new Luna right now for $199 including shipping. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29947&item=7335746919&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Last edited:
JazzMang said:
The other guys have made some good suggestions, so I will add to them by recommending the MXL V67 as a good starter LDC that works great on acoustics..

Check this one out: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1527557&postcount=40

used only a V67

Good...good voice man. Sounds a lot like Goo Goo Dolls. I really didn't like the lyrics a whole lot...but the melody was good. :)

That being said, I REALLY haven't like what I've heard with that mic, from you or from the listening sessions. It sounds thin. I like the brightness but there's no depth.

what he said..... There doesn't seem to be any "body" to the vox. I also like your sound but it sounds muddy at close proximity and thin at higher volumes

louloomis said:
Maybe this topic has been beaten to death, but I haven't found this info here yet.

I'd like to augment the miking of this instrument with a large diaphragm to add some depth and fullness to the recording.
LL

What makes you think a large-diaphragm mic is going to add "depth and fullness"? Have you read the big threads?

I haven't read the big threads here. But, I've read in many other places that large diaphragm microphones generally possess this trait.

LL

louloomis said:
I haven't read the big threads here. But, I've read in many other places that large diaphragm microphones generally possess this trait.

LL
Distance equals depth, proximity equals fullness. Stereo recording can answer both using similar microphones at medium proximity. twelve string is damned tricky, so room is the most important thing. Watch the reflection surfaces and...

Believe it or not: two Behringer b1's can get you where you want to go. Just remember that the mic is a little dead around 1k, so dance 1 up or so on the mids to taste before recording. Two Behringer B1's have surprized the hell out of me on twelve string. And it's in your budget.

I haven't really played around much mic'ing my 12 string yet but I do have most of the mics mentioned here. The two mics I find myself favoring lately for my six string stuff are the CAD M179 and an older Oktava MK012.
I'll try and do some test recordings with the mics I've got on my 12 and post my results. For an all around mic, I really like the M179, the multi pattern is great and messing with the placement you can get a pretty wide range of sounds.

I record mainly guitars, and I'm not sure you can do any better in the budget range than the SP B1. To paraphrase reviewer Paul White in "SOS" recently, if you can't get a good sound (especially on acoustic guitars) with the SP B1, then there's something wrong with your mic placement or room acoustics. There's a ton written about this mic in this forum if you're interested. Just do a quick search.

Forget the ridiculously cheap price--I have two of these mics that I use for a variety of stringed instruments, and I've been extremely happy with them in my small home studio. I especially like the lack of harshness so typical in some other low-cost mics. I'll admit, though, that although I read other folks' feedback constantly, I haven't actually used many other mics in this price range. I'm just pleased with what I have now.

J.

louloomis said:
Thanks. Anyone know anything about the A-T 2020 or other less expensive mics by the better-known names?

LL

It's the cheapest mic I own, yet I think it's excellent on acoustics and nylon string gtrs. It's also good for background vocals, since it's emphasis is on the treble side, so it sits nicely in a mix when you use a fatter sounding mic for the main vox. Also good on high hats and cymbals, when you need something to cut through a mix, but without the brittleness or harshness. I tend to use mics which I don't have to EQ a lot. The low end is not excessive with this mic.

Thanks so far, all.

To the poster who mentioned the M179 being good to pick up room ambience (I'm paraphrasing)...I really can't benefit from that because my room has no ambience, otherwise I'd look into that.

Does anyone out there have both the SP B-1 and the A-T 2020? Any chance they are made by the same manufacturer in China or something?

I'll do a search on the B-1 on this board.

Thanks,
LL

jeffree said:
I record mainly guitars, and I'm not sure you can do any better in the budget range than the SP B1.
I'd agree. The B1 is an excellent acoustic guitar mic.

To paraphrase reviewer Paul White in "SOS" recently, if you can't get a good sound (especially on acoustic guitars) with the SP B1, then there's something wrong with your mic placement or room acoustics.
Although Paul White's nearly three years behind the curve on recommending the B1, he's obviously hearing what we and many others have been hearing.

I've got some B1 notes at http://studioforums.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/694106689/m/6431051621

Excellent feedback, Dan. Thanks for sharing it. I'm sure many of us like the mics we're using but rarely have the chance to compare and contrast them first-hand. For this reason, I always enjoy any sort of blind shoot-out reviews, which usually seem to produce a big surprise or two.

J.

P.S. In the monitor realm, the recent Future Music mag monitor shoot-out panel was surprised by the low-budget Yamaha monitors, which won top honors for two lower price points. When one hides the labels and relies only on ears, anything can happen.

Back