Large Diaphragm Condenser for Voice Overs

FartSword

I originally asked this question on another website and didn't get much response, so I wanted to see if maybe a different community had some different views. Also, the question has changed since I originally asked it.

Currently I have a number of dynamics I'm very pleased with, and a few small diaphragm condensers which are okay. I'd like to add an inexpensive large diaphragm condenser to my collection now.

The microphone would be used mainly for voice overs on what you could call a full, low tenor male voice.

Money is of course a consideration, as one would expect on a home recording forum, therefore whichever microphone can do the job well for the least amount of money wins.

I'm currently considering the Behringer B1 and the MXL V67G. My concern about the V67G, however, is I've heard from many it can sound a little too dark in some areas, too harsh in others, and scooped in the mids which I don't think would be great for voice overs.

After doing some digging, here are some noise stats I came up with for various microphones:

Signal-to-Noise Ratios

MXL V67G: 74 dB
CAD GXL2200: 74 dB
Nady SCM960: 76 dB
Behringer B1: 81 dB
Studio Projects B1: 82 dB
CAD M179: 83 dB

I don't need multiple patters, considering it would just be a voice over mic, and again whichever can get the job done with good results for the least money would be preferable. Comments, thoughts, and opinions would be appreciated.

The straight up MXL 67 is a good choice.

Also look into the Oktava MK-319 :thumbs up: that's where my my would go. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. When you say the MXL 67, do you mean the MXL V67G? Looking at their microphone line I don't see one that's simply just a "67". I know at one point it was just the V67 but got renamed to the V67G when they added more mics to the line.

I suppose I should specify that when I say an inexpensive large diaphragm condenser, I'm talking about $120 or less, and something readily available in the US. The Oktava looks nice, but it's more expensive and seems to be harder to find in the US.

Have you heard your voice through a ribbon before? They are very unforgiving due to their purity in reproduction.

Have a look at a Rode Nt1000, second hand they sell for about $250. They are the forgotten rode mic, I don't know why they are not more popular. The signal to noise is very good and they have a ton of gain.

I recently used one for a meditation CD voice over.

Alan.

Have you heard your voice through a ribbon before? They are very unforgiving due to their purity in reproduction.

I haven't used a ribbon before, but I know they can be had for less expensive these days and I watched some good YouTube voice over demonstrations where they sounded very full and thick. Just not a lot of top end on them.

Have a look at a Rode Nt1000, second hand they sell for about $250. They are the forgotten rode mic, I don't know why they are not more popular. The signal to noise is very good and they have a ton of gain.

I recently used one for a meditation CD voice over.

Alan.

To be honest I'm leaning heavily towards the V67G as from what I can tell, it seems to have a lot of rich character while still having some of the top end that condensers tend to have. In addition to all my regular research, I also did a lot of specific comparative research, such as "MXL V67G vs Rode NT1A" to see what people have had to say about that specific comparison, and on down the list. The V67G was always held very favorably.

The mic you suggested is outside my price range, but I do appreciate any and all suggestions.

I also did a lot of specific comparative research, such as "MXL V67G vs Rode NT1A" to see what people have had to say about that specific comparison, and on down the list. The V67G was always held very favorably.

The Nt1000 is a very different mic to the NT1A, the NT1000 has the same capsule (I believe) as the K2 valve mic. Sorry I did not see the $120 reference. I also have a V67G and it's a very good mic for the bucks.

Alan.

Don't overlook the Rode NT1A. great sensitivity, 88dB SNR, 132dB Dynamic range, $230- w/spider mount and pop-filter. Nice sensitive, quiet mic. And as with all cardioid condensers, you can lean in and take advantage of the proximity effect to get that "voice of God" depth.

I have a Nady SCM960, Nady SCM900, AudioTechnica aT2035, I use for vocals and VO. I use the aT2035 for my VO's and my wife likes the Nady SCM960 for hers.

Both are acceptably quiet, and their response curves compliment our voices. My wife has a relatively deep voice, so the SCR960 presence peek works well for her.

I've been happy with the aT2035 over-all, but for a few bucks more, I would've gone for the Rode NT1A for the lower noise and greater dynamic range had I known about it at the time.

But at this point, my next mic will be a Neumann TLM-102..... A Neumann for under $1K? gotta get one!

Don't overlook the Rode NT1A. great sensitivity, 88dB SNR, 132dB Dynamic range, $230- w/spider mount and pop-filter. Nice sensitive, quiet mic. And as with all cardioid condensers, you can lean in and take advantage of the proximity effect to get that "voice of God" depth.

I have a Nady SCM960, Nady SCM900, AudioTechnica aT2035, I use for vocals and VO. I use the aT2035 for my VO's and my wife likes the Nady SCM960 for hers.

Both are acceptably quiet, and their response curves compliment our voices. My wife has a relatively deep voice, so the SCR960 presence peek works well for her.

I've been happy with the aT2035 over-all, but for a few bucks more, I would've gone for the Rode NT1A for the lower noise and greater dynamic range had I known about it at the time.

But at this point, my next mic will be a Neumann TLM-102..... A Neumann for under $1K? gotta get one!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll add that to my list to look into more fully in the future.

It can be hard finding good demos of mics, because I can't test any mics locally, and most mic demos are of people singing instead of people speaking, which is what I'm interested in considering I'm interested in doing voice overs and spoken word things.

If you were able and willing, it would be great if you could do a demo of the NT1A and the SCM960 where you, with that male voice you have, spoke into each at about six inches away, then spoke into each right up on it? If you can't that's fine, but if you could that would be great.

If you were able and willing, it would be great if you could do a demo of the NT1A and the SCM960 where you, with that male voice you have, spoke into each at about six inches away, then spoke into each right up on it? If you can't that's fine, but if you could that would be great.

FS,
I know you asked Phat for samples. However, I just happened to make a few test records (with lots of Ps, Ss, and Fs) yesterday using my NT1-A, AT 2035, and the Nady SCM900 that I purchased to mod.
8" away, off-axis, nose-high, with pop filter. Preamp only.
https://soundcloud.com/daleintexas/abc/s-AnJHs

FS,
I know you asked Phat for samples. However, I just happened to make a few test records (with lots of Ps, Ss, and Fs) yesterday using my NT1-A, AT 2035, and the Nady SCM900 that I purchased to mod.
8" away, off-axis, nose-high, with pop filter. Preamp only.
https://soundcloud.com/daleintexas/abc/s-AnJHs

Hey Dale, a mega thumbs-up for you. I'm sure I'm not the only person that's mostly interested in voice overs and doesn't find singing examples all that helpful, so I really appreciate that you did this.

I thought the NT1A sounded richer than the SCM900, which for $130 more I would hope that it would be better, but the SCM900 didn't sound that bad either.

I appreciate the suggestions but those are both way outside my price range, and like I said, I'm fine on dynamics at the moment and am looking to add some condensers to my collection.

I found these mic shootouts very helpful for the spoken word.

Transom » The Transom Mic Shootout: Blindfold Test

Transom » Handhelds: Microphone Shootout Part 2

I thought the Rode NT3 sounded nice and also the Shure KSM44

and from my own experience I would recommend the Rode NT1a, AKG 420 and the M-Audio Solaris and Sputnik.

He did ask about capacitor mics but, to be fair, my choice for V/O would be re20/sm7b.

Agreed. I use them for audiobook, long-form.
In testing my 286A, I also did a test with my RE20, SM7B, AT4033, and the MXL990 that I plan to mod; but did not post them. I found the 286 needs a few more 'hosses to open up the 7B like I think it can. Cloudlifter arrives Thursday ;)

After continuing to do research and reading various things including what was said here and listening to various samples, I think the direction I'm leaning in is to start off by getting an inexpensive large diaphragm condenser, something like the CAD GXL2200, because I've heard some good things said about that microphone in particular and heard some good samples of it and it seems like most microphones in that price range are about the same, and then save up for a Rode NT1A.

Back