Large Condensor for Acoustic Guitar

Chrisdb

Alright guys,

I'm looking for an upgrade on my AKG Perception 220, I want it to be used mainly for acoustic guitar and perhaps a few other instruments. But I really want something that will pick up a lot of detail from my acoustic guitar, as it is expensive and I want it to be one of the main listening points along with my vocals.

Looking at a budget of around £150 - £300, which is about 250 - 500 dollars I think. But everything in the U.K. is much more expensive which is a massive pain in the ass.

The 220 is alright but I don't feel it does justice for the guitars tone or my playing. I was thinking of maybe using whatever new mic I buy to be placed near the body of the guitar, and then another mic maybe even the 220 towards the neck to pick up some of the brighter frequencies.

Any suggestions or advice would be great thanks.

If you want more detail, you should consider a small diaphragm condenser. I'm not familiar with the perception 220 (edit: looked it up - 1 inch diaphragm = LDC in anybody's book), but the two Darrin mentioned are "medium" diaphragm, which you can sort of expect to pick up more detail than a large diaphragm (in general - lots more going on here, to be sure). The thought is that the smaller diaphragm, due to having less mass and stuff, can react more quickly to the transient sounds from the guitar, and so picks them up better.

Have you recorded with a [pair of] small diaphragm mics like an Oktava MK-012, a Shure SM81 or something like that (Naiant makes very low cost ones that are worth checking out)? I have used a pair of AT4033 and really liked the result, too.

If you want more detail, you should consider a small diaphragm condenser. I'm not familiar with the perception 220 (edit: looked it up - 1 inch diaphragm = LDC in anybody's book), but the two Darrin mentioned are "medium" diaphragm, which you can sort of expect to pick up more detail than a large diaphragm (in general - lots more going on here, to be sure). The thought is that the smaller diaphragm, due to having less mass and stuff, can react more quickly to the transient sounds from the guitar, and so picks them up better.

Have you recorded with a [pair of] small diaphragm mics like an Oktava MK-012, a Shure SM81 or something like that (Naiant makes very low cost ones that are worth checking out)? I have used a pair of AT4033 and really liked the result, too.

Hmmm, that's a very interesting point, that would make sense that the small condensers pick up more detail. Do you think I would be better off with some SDC microphones? or going with something like the AT4033, 3035 etc? Or maybe even a 3035 because they are quite cheap and then buy a SDC also to use towards the bridge. Are you aware of any decent ones that are reasonably cheap? I know you said Naiant but they are not available in the U.K. unfortunately. I haven't had the chance to record with SDC for acoustic yet but would like to try it out, I have a 57 but being dynamic it doesn't sound good enough for me.

Last edited:

ding ding ding ding

well... I can tell you my personal SDC preferences (without mentioning Naiant - but I thought someone was selling them there? Maybe not anymore), but take them with a grain of salt

Oktava MK-012 or MC-012 - nice big, clear sound - maybe larger-than-life - everybody seems to like these. If the acoustic guitar is the primary instrument, I like to use these.

Shure SM81 - a little softer and more background than the Oktava - if the acoustic is to be back in the mix or just not in your face as much, I like to use these. Some people seem to hate them. Shure has a new line of SDCs that people like but I haven't used them.

MXL 603 - I think these are unusable stock, but a simple DIY mod with new capacitors makes them OK. There are people on the board here (Marik, Michael Joly) who can remachine the capsules, change the electronics, and make them very good. I have a Marik-modified pair that are fantastic.

AKG C 451 -- I have the C 451 E, which is an older model - these are really bright, but in a good way. I think they're too bright for steel string acoustic, but are nice on other stringed instruments.

There are *many* other good choices, I'm sure.

How are you positioning your current mic?

Are you just micing the guit and adding vocals later?

Hmm yeah I'll to look into some of those, thanks for the advice :). Nah I usually record vocals and guitar at the same time, and position the 220 towards the right of the sound hole a facing slightly off angle towards the neck.

Hmm yeah I'll to look into some of those, thanks for the advice :). Nah I usually record vocals and guitar at the same time, and position the 220 towards the right of the sound hole a facing slightly off angle towards the neck.

Both on the same track?...do you have more than 1 input availible?

...Nah I usually record vocals and guitar at the same time, and position the 220 towards the right of the sound hole a facing slightly off angle towards the neck.

My preferred method is to stereo mic the guit (in either XY or ORTF) with two SD condensers and an LD on vox.

Back