laptops + external hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

drum_

Ive been looking in to external hdd and it seems to be a popular opinion that its never a good idea to use usb when on a laptop and to use firewire instead when on a laptop. this is news to me, hopefully some can explain why this is.
also i have no fire just usb 2.0
iv always thought they were on par but they seem to believe this really strongly

also add in what i was reading they also started talking about min 7500rpm been all that matters.

Trouble is, there are several "flavours" of both Firewire and USB so you have to be careful what you're comparing.

Firewire 400 (IEEE 1394a) has a theoretical throughput of 400mbps; Firewire 800 (IEEE 1394b) has a theoretical throughput of 800mbps. Because Firewire is a peer to peer architecture, it's generally good about achieving its theoretical maximum on sustained throughput.

USB2 "High Speed" has a theoretical maximum of 480kbps but, because it uses a master/slave architecture, has trouble sustaining this speed on sustained throughput.

The other thing about USB is that it's a shared bus so if, for example, you have both a USB sound card and a USB HDD, these have to share the 480mbps maximum. Add a USB mouse and that's sharing too--and so on.

However, theoretical maxima are just that--really it's a case of "suck it and see". In my home studio I have a Firewire audio interface and a USB2 HDD and they seem to play nicely together for the sort of things I do. That's all that really matters!

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back