laptop vs. desktop

laptop vs. desktop

• laptop

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • desktop

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters
Polaris20 said:
Obviously if you use Logic, then it's gotta be a Mac, ...
Well, I use Logic 5.5 on a pc and I am rather happy with that setup. The Emagic pc support is still up & running, too.

Well, the logic support might still be running, but not for long...

I opted for a PC, since there's more choice for software, more freeware etc, and for the same thing, it's cheaper which is logical since there's different brands and there's direct concurrence between companies. And I'm already familiar with PCs, I'm not that familiar with macs...

kgirl72 said:
Yesterday at work, I was composing ...
Geee -- I wanna have your job! Wanna switch jobs? :D

What kind of software do you use on your Toshiba and what kind of genre are you in? I am having a Toshiba Satellite, but its simply not powerful enough to handle a high number of tracks & virtual instruments. Hard drive it too slow, too (4200 rpm).

Guess I need a new machine, so I can record my vocals straight into the headphones in the bathroom of the EuroRail train next time in Europe -- just like BT bragged in a couple of music magazines this month. :rolleyes:

That's exactly why I decided to do more regular stuff on my desktop.

Now, when I say I was composing, I was really messing around with parts. My genre? Not needing lots and lots of softsynths, but I've no real instruments, except a keyboard and piano, and I am liking the piano sound off my orchestral dxi better than my keyboard, but, I also mess around with different effects at work just to see how they work for me.

My job? Very boring at times. That is why I can do this. I'm stuck at a desk waiting for a. visitors b. their money c. phone calls and d. security mishaps.

This time of year, not a lot of that is taking place. So, there are plenty of times I can fart around, if you will, which is pretty much my involvement level, though I'm starting to feel as though I'm improving in my abilities.

Toshiba is 5400, running with 512 MB, the processor is Intel P4 Mobile processor, 1.7 G, I think. Running Sonar 2.2XL right now, not sure if I'm ready for the upgrade yet. As far as softsynths, I have tons of them installed, but don't use very many at one time. Plus, with your ability to bounce them to audio, you should be okay, just to temporarily disconnect a softsynth and use the dummy audio track.

I've been able to have LiveSynth and Orchestral running at same time with little problems. I did occasionally have dropouts, but I'm also a bit limited with my windows tweaks, because of some of Toshiba's proprietary functions in the laptop...I tried to mess with some of that, and it screwed me up for awhile, so I did what I could.

Like I said, I'm glad it's not my ONLY option, but the creative uses for it are so plentiful that the portability factor is awesome, you can just transfer whatever you want to your desktop later anyway if you need more power.

My genre, I didn't mention, is I'm not really sure what, r&b/gospel/soul pop, as soulful as I can get for a little white girl. I try. I've never used anything other than a computer for this recording madness, and I'm just really at 31 beginning to explore some of my musical insides. So, I'm no professional, and likely never will need 10+ softsynths running at once. but, even if I did, I could make it work with some creative routing, I suppose.

The only thing I don't like to do is record my vocals on this when I have softsynths all activated and not bounced. That's when my laptop likes to dropout on me, and my voice starts to tell me to screw myself. Ha ha. However, I changed to asio drivers the other day...I am able to get down to 2.9 I think, while I could get all the way down to 1.2 with my WDMs but the asio's seem more stable on my laptop for whatever reason, and with the direct monitoring option, I just seem to like the asio drivers. I've been using them on my new desktop computer (which is just an HP that I just bought last month, though my old one wasn't too bad...I'm giving it to my dad and bought one for my mommy too. Aren't I a wonderful daughter?:cool: )

Anyway, I use my Layla 24/96 to interface to both computers. If I had the option to use one or the other at home, of course, I'd choose the desktop...if only for the 7200 rpm drive, and the desire not to wear out my laptop too soon. But, when I'm bored and out somewhere, I really wouldn't want to be without the laptop and some cheap little ear phones at the very least to stir some juices. I'm less an engineer and more a singer/songwriter type at this point, though I do love sliding the faders around too. I'm just trying to learn it all at this late stage in life, and music too, while I'm at it. Also, I generally just use the onboard laptop soundcard to fiddle at work...I'll only haul the Layla along if I'm actually going to record something. If I'm just programming or messing around, the onboard sound gives me a reference anyway. And, it's pretty generic, I suppose, though the Toshibas supposedly can have some of the better consumer-grade systems for sound.

You would definitely be able to sing in the bathroom--at any location--for sure! And, it would work fabulously--just port that little puppy along.

In addition, I think there are now some laptops (prolly a bit pricey) out with 7200 drives. And aren't there pc's (if not already some laptops) with 10,000 rpm drives?

Before long, with technology improvements, you won't be able to complain about the virtual synth issue, I suppose.

And, you would be able to use that Logic regardless, so if you don't need the support later, oh well. As far as between pc/mac, I suppose as most people say, use what you already have the software for.

That was epic. Sorry for that.

Last edited:
Giganova said:
Well, I use Logic 5.5 on a pc and I am rather happy with that setup. The Emagic pc support is still up & running, too.

True, but I wouldn't want to go Logic for PC knowing that 5.x was the last of the line.

Polaris20 said:
True, but I wouldn't want to go Logic for PC knowing that 5.x was the last of the line.
Agreed.
Unfortunately I got Logic and a pc just 2 weeks before Emagic announced that it will stop developing code for win-based platforms in the future. Now I am stuck with Logic 5.5 -- unless I switch to a MAC :mad: On the other hand, Logic 5.5 gives me all I need at the moment, so I might just keep what I have. Can't afford a G4 or G5 and Logic 6 right now, which would be a $3000+ investment for some extra features in Logic.

hey KGirl --

thanxxx a lot for your lengthy & interesting reply! Post some tracks online some day soon, will ya? Sounds interesting what you do! :D

Dude, there is way better talent on the board. I don't even know anything about music. So, if you'd like to listen to me...just click on my www button, but don't expect fabulousness, or even a good sound. I put those up awhile back...am working on better recording skills, and playing skills, and writing skills, etc. Most of what you're going to find there is only me barely playing a piano and singing. have at it, though. I'm almost embarrassed to send you there...I know you're way ahead of me. Listened to your techno Casablanca tune...very interesting.

Now, what do you use, how many virtual synths do you have plugged in at a time, generally? I can see how a laptop might shit the bad for you. But, I have no experience in electronic type programming/recording. Too confusing for me! I can only write simple.

Thanks!

Why don't you keep using Logic for what you like it so much for, and supplement with other pc programs that have the features that your logic didn't have yet?

Seems cheaper, to me. But, like I said, I don't put out professional stuff, either. :D

Back