Laptop: Upgrade internal hard drive or go external USB 3.0

dawgyD

Hi there, this is my first post.

I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop (1.8 Intel Duo, 4GB DDR2, WinXP SP3) and it's doing great except the hard drive (55gb) is always almost out of room. Two options occurred to me. First, I could upgrade to a 7200+RPM, 128GB+ internal hard drive (or a solid state). Second, I could use a fast external hard drive with USB 3.0 (I'd have to use a USB 3.0 Express Card).

I understand that it's beneficial to have one drive running the OS and the other drive running the program which made me think of the USB 3.0 option. But I've been recording on the C drive as it is and it seems ok so far, which made me think just to upgrade the internal HDD.

Any ideas either way, or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

With terabyte laptop drives running under a hundred bucks (and on average being much faster than your current drive even if your current drive is at a higher RPM), there's no good reason not to upgrade your internal drive, IMO.

Agreed. Either way, upgrading the internal is a good idea.
Since the operating system is on it, you might want to look into some clone software and a little external caddy, so you can clone your system to the new drive before you fit it.

Once you're done, you have the old drive and the caddy for a portable backup. :)

Yeah, that's what I was leaning more towards as well. The USB 3.0 thing seems like too many more things to set up. Thanks for the feedback.

I dig the idea of the old HDD in an external caddy as a back up! That's brilliant. :)

Thanks again

Back