Laptop success with Firewire?

Reggie49

G'Day Guys,
Can anyone please tell me if they have had real success with a Laptop and an Audio Interface box using a Firewire connection.

From all I've been able to find out you won't get very good results as the one's with on board Firewire aren't all that compatible with Audio interfaces and those that offer an Expresscard Firewire connection don't have very good internal componentry even if a Texas instruments Express card is used.

So if any of you out there have had success can you let me know what brand and model of laptop you're using please.

BTW I'm restricted in budget so anything over $1500.00 is out of my league! But I'd still like to hear from anyone who's had success. :o

Cheers

Ron

I'm running an acer 7530g laptop, with an added internal SATA hard drive inside. Using an expresscard with a MOTU 8pre, soon to upgrade to 2 motu 8pre's giving me 16 channels to play with.

It has been a very stressful experience getting everything working right.

Its VITAL to have a seperate hard drive for recording onto, and this MUST be sata/esata connected. USB won't be fast enough and a firewire drive will interfere with your interface!

If you are getting an expresscard, it MUST MUST MUST be a TI chipset. If the interface you're using runs at firewire 400, get a 400 card, NOT an 800 like I did thinking i would be clever! lol Only get firewire 800 if your using a firewire 800 interface!

If you want any other info, don't hesitate to ask me!

I have a Pioneer laptop that I take out to live recording jobs. It is Intel Core Duo 2.4mhz with 2gb RAM. Its internal firewire uses a VIA chipset.

I use the firewire to connect a firepod, giving me eight channels for recording, which I have successfully used on live gigs, either by recording direct to an external 1tb USB hard-drive, or to its own internal IDE hard drive (160gb).

Admittedly I'm only recording eight tracks simultaneously, but the system has worked flawlessly. I do have an issue with the firewire when I get it home and plug it into everything else, and that is that my monitors pickup laptop computer noise. This disappears when the Laptop runs off its battery and not its external power supply, and is related to an earthing issue which I have yet to deal with.

Been running an old Gateway single-core laptop with built-in TI firewire chips daisychained to a Glyph firewire drive and a Motu828mkII for years with ZERO PROBLEMS.

You can still get laptops with built-in TI firewire:

http://www.adkproaudio.com/laptop2.cfm

There are others, you just have to look around....

Don't buy nothin' without TI firewire chips in 'em.

Macbook pro (>$1.5k) - works fine.

What Vinniedude said is good advice and I'd stick to it.

That said, my laptop doesn't have built in ESATA, and the only available express card for it apparently sucks (and I usually have something else plugged into my single express card slot anyway) and the built in single firewire bus is 800, but.... ..... I daisy chained a plug-powered 800 drive through my 400 interface and it seems to be fine - the laptop *reports* that the drive is connected at 800 and the interface at 400 - too good to be true, perhaps. I haven't stressed it too hard yet, admittedly - about 8 channels. I'll try more soon.

Have a (fairly old) HP NC8430 which doesn't have a TI chipset (think its an Agere) but it plays perfectly well with my Motu interface. Well, it didn't at first, but that was a problem with the XPSP2 firewire drivers... rolled them back to the SP1 ones and it runs fine :) Hit a few drop-outs here and there, but had it happily running with low ASIO buffers for low-latency multi-channel live drum sample triggering once without a single hiccup for the whole of a 4 hour gig :p

This disappears when the Laptop runs off its battery and not its external power supply, and is related to an earthing issue which I have yet to deal with.

I have seen this problem solved by making a separate plug/extension lead WITHOUT the ground wired in. Sounds a bit risky but works like a charm apparantly!

Dell Latitude D830 here, centrino duo w/ 1gb ram, recording onto the internal hdd. No problems with 8 44.1k/24 tracks, I didn't tweak a single setting.

Thanks a lot guys for the encouraging results, I was beginning to think that I was going to have to abandon the hope of doing this.

Okay Vinnydude, I'm going to take you up on your offer to ask some questions, and I hope they're not too silly to ask. I'm not techno savvy, but I contacted Belkin, seeing they use the Texas Instruments chipset I heard is a must, and when I told them the model of laptop I was considering buying, they only suggested only one Expresscard type and that was their Firewire 800. (F5U514ea)

So based on this info, I 've now bought the Firewire 800 expresscard from US eBay and now my laptop. But based on what you said with the 800, I'm now wondering if I've been given the wrong information! Did you find it just refused to work, or gave poor results? What type of Expresscard did you finish up with and is there anything in the technical literature for the laptop, I can sift through to find out if in fact I have bought the wrong card?

Also, it appears I'll need to do some reading up on sata/esata HDD and if they are comptible to use with my laptop. Silly question, but I'm going to ask it, Is the hard drive you have an external one and if so how are you connecting it to your laptop ie. are there external plugin ports?

Again thanks guys for your help much appreciated, and if I haven't overdone the above, I'll maybe be even more clued up on setting this stuff up and getting some decent results!! :o

Cheers Ron

I was lucky enough to have a 2nd empty drive bay inside my laptop. I had to order a couple of parts from acer to fit it though which i was not amused at but part from that it plonked straight in. It may work without a hitch on your internal one but just as a precaution in case that perfect take gets destroyed, i'd look into a 2nd drive.

Which laptop did you go for by the way?

Also, in regards to the firewire card you've ordered, see how you get on. I was only relating what i've found with setting my laptop up. I may have got a faulty card or something, i dunno! Oh, and you'll need to get an 800-400 cable because they have different connectors! lol

Anyway, keep us all posted how you get on!

My current 1394a success ....

MOTU 828mkII -> This exact Express card -> older Compaq pressario v5000

Actually, all my computers work flawless with the MOTU.
Even a real old PIII HP vu1175 with a Siig PCMCIA FW card.
Common factors are ...
All are Intel chipset computers and all FW adapters have been TI based.

Vinnydude, I've bought an ASUS N61 JQ, but made sure that if things don't work out, I cab return it. So I'm sweating on the Expresscard arriving from the US so I can try things out! So I'll have to buy another firewire cable, are the cable connectors on the Firewire 400 different to 800? Boy more stuff I'm finding out - good fun learning on the fly isn't it!! :o

Again thanks for the info guys, very helpful!

Cheers

Ron

I am using a Dell 1720 with a Ricoh OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller and o not have any problems with my Phonic Firelfy 808, even with 2 of them cascaded, which I tried once and now have ordered my second unit. Also tried several Firewire DV cams with NO problems, so the RICOH controller seems to do the job!

Thanks a lot guys for the replies, links and info - much appreciated!!!

I know a little knowledge can be dangerous, but with good people like you to chime in and set you straight it's reassurring to plug away until things happen!

Cheers

Ron

Well, my frist report was a littel bit too early, as I have faced some problems with my two Phonic FireFly 808 -- but they are sorted out now and yesterday I successfuly recorded 16 tracks via firewire onto my Dell 1720 notebook with 5400 rpm drives.....and the PC hardly shrugged the shoulders.
I had to deactivate the internal TTST-DVD drive as well as the wireless card, but that's it. I still can go online and I also can leave the internal soundcard activated, although I switched it off. The Dell is running under XP SP3.
I was considering buying a MacBook or another Mac when I first faced the problems with my setup (2 Phonic FireFly 808 cascaded or daisychained via firewire), got only unstable playback even only of a midi file, without any audio activities. Luckily the Macs are quite expensive, so after a lot of thinking and calculating I decided to try everything on the Dell first before investing in new (admittedly very attractive) hardware. I spent a lot of time on the net and finally found the solutions by trial and error, deactivating every single hardware component, because my latency monitor showed activity peaks every 7 seconds, which did not allow any proper recording or even playback with two interfaces. Finally I identified the DVD drive as the culprit, deactivated it and from then on it was nearly smooth sailing. Found the wireless card being responsible for intermittently distorted recording (started and stopped by itself on single channels randomly), So i switched it off as well. As I had done a new installation of XP and only had installed a lot of software except for my audio stuff, a video editor and MS Office (sic!), I did not bother to check for any services running ... and after some thinking how to record 16 tracks at a time all alone, I tried it and it worked perfectly.

I am not sure, how important the latency setting in the Control panel for the FireFly is, but just or fun i changed it down to 4ms in and out and 1000 microseconds streaming (don;t ask me what exactly that means), but it ran smoothly: I ran separate channels of Midi from a MU100R and a drum machine back into one firefly (Midi sent through both fireflies), 6 Microphones set up around the room and in front of my guitar amp, I fed the amp in Mono form my PODxt Live and recorded the stereo line out form the amp as well as the stereo out from xt live into separate channels of the Phonics! No problem at all.

Next thing to try is what I can achieve in regards of mixing and plug-ins and probably VSTi's with my PC. I am quite confident that it will be good enough for a proper mix of anything I might ever record, keeping in mind that I intend to mix with analog limitations in mind (meaning not a dozen plug ins for sound reinforcement on each single track but rather using a few key effects only on mixing busses).

If anybody is interested, I will post my next experiences. I also would be very interested, if anyone has some 16 tracks lying around and wants to send the to me (mp3).... I would appreciate that as well as any collaboration in Blues and Blues-Rock (I am a guitarist, not good but I love to play and would love to exchange ideas and stuff)

I am quite a happy camper now having my stuff ready here in the south of the island of Sumatra!!!!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 (with Ricoh chipset) and use an original Firepod with both the wireless and optical drive disabled as above. I have two internal hard drives. Recording is fine, but I've had poorer performance when playing back other projects that play fine on my desktop (Sonar 7). I mostly use the laptop to be able to record remotely, but I mix at home on my desktop.

Last edited:
Back