Laptop / Soundcard / USB / Pream question

Alota Recordz

aight, here I go.

So, I am buying the new Tascam US-122 for my preamp. It is USB powered. So, since it is USB powered, will a laptop be alright for the job? Will I have to buy a new sound card for the laptop? Will a Compaq pentium 4 be good enough for decent low budget recording? Please let me know, nobody I have talked to has been able to give me a good answer.

Thanx
Alota

You can absolutely run it on a laptop, usually an audio interface will have a bunch of inputs and atleast one line output, here I dont see any output (except headphone out) and looks like it is using the computer soundcard to produce the output (system requirements). The problem with this kind of interface is that the sound you are going to monitor will be through your defaut soundcard which I am not sure how good the quality would be.
So here are two choices for you,
1)if you are determined to use a laptop, get a better audio interface. Here is a link for usb interfaces
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/p...h&cat=2418&cat2=&ob=p19&submit=Filter+Results
You may consider a Edirol UA5 or M audio Duo.

2) if you are considering desktop, you can get an awesome pci card like M-audio Omni or Delta card.

well, it says that the tascam us-122 has its own audio interface (Soundcard), I just read that. ANd, it also has 2 outs, 1 headphone out, 2 mic inputs (phantom power) and a bunch of other shit. But since you mentioned that with a usb interface that you would be okay, then I believe I should be okay with the tascam. Thank you very much for your reply.

Thanx
Alota

Back