Laptop Soundcard Query

Dweezil

I'm using an Echo Mia on my home computer for recording with Mackie mixer etc, but am now getting a laptop as well. I thought it might be handy to have a "mobile" computer for recording vocals, but it won't be my main recording system so I don't want to throw a lot of money at it. I'm actually leasing the thing cheaply. It's a Toshiba Satellite A10, Intel Celeron 2.2 etc.
What would be the cheapest option soundcard that would get acceptable vocal recording via a Studio Project B1 mike? I have read about some fairly tasty external plug-ins via usb, or maybe there is an itnernal slot I can get something put in. What is the cheapest card with reasonable sound, at under $100 US?!! Or even external device.If I wanted higer end recording I could maybe herd a choral group or whatever into a local studio, but like the idea of being able to use some kind of portable set up as well... if it is affordable.

One more query. What is the merit of 24 bit recording etc when it gets crunched down to 16 bit on CD, in simple terms? Yes, I should be swimming in the newbies pool folks!!

Cheers

I was planning on creating a thread similar to this in the next week or so, so I'll conglomerate it here...

Same deal here, although working on a project to create a small start-up project for recording live shows for bands around town. I'd *like* an 8-channel interface (in the long run), but will most likely have to start with a 2-channel or 4-channel off the bat.

And Dweezil, from what I've heard, the is a pretty sick little device. And you REALLY can't beat the price.

Terratec has a [url=http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030914025033207173232024379555/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/708204/]new product
that looks rather interesting.

However, the MobilePre is only 16-bit/24khz whereas the Phase26 from Terratec is 24-bit/96khz recording. $149 vs $299. make the call.

M-Audio also has the Audiosport Duo, and this'd be better than the MobilePre for sure.

And can't forget the tried-and-true Audiophile 2496 in a USB form. For $200, it's pretty badass.

I'd say go with the Audiophile or the Terratec, i think most others would say the same. I don't really think your'e going to come up with something decent and passeable with that "under $100" budget however. if you do, lemme know! :D

wow. not bad at all. I was unaware of this goodie. I like the looks of it, really. And yeah, i'm curious on the latency of it. I'm sure it's tolerable however.

What it looks like to me is basically the recording front-end of a high-quality MD recorder. Honestly.

Thanks

Thanks for the excellent product threads, which I shall investigate with pleasure! Much appreciated.

Cheers

Back