Laptop Recording

amt7565

I am planng to get a DELL laptop (Inspiron) for recording. Anyone has experience with Video card issues interrupting recording? I do plan to get a video graphics card with its own memory.

Also, any issues with 5400RPM? I only plan to record 2 tracks at a time, most.
I have considered an external drive as well, but I rather get a 7200RPM on the laptop to keep everything compact if 5400 is not good for recording.

Any helpful suggestions based on your experience is appreciated.
thanks.

Just as with a desktop setup, you want the audio to stream to a drive that is not being used by the OS and applications. You might get by with a handfull of tracks on the internal drive, but using an external firewire drive is a VERY good idea.

Also, max out the RAM as much as you can.

(I use a Gateway laptop with a Motu828mkII and a Glyph GT050 firewire drive for audio and a Seagate firewire/usb2 drive for video editing. ZERO problems.)

Firewire hard drives are the best for audio backup. For example, if something happens to your windows and crashes, you might fall into a deep disaster where you lose your recorded materials.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.
So, seems like (Sync's comment) the Dell Inspiron notebooks have firewire issues. Considering this, seems like I have to look at other brands- possibly an AMD solution.....

What XP is everyone using? Home edtion or Professional? Any recommendations and why? One advantage I hear that Professional has is that it gives you the option to change the IRQs which the home edition does not have....

Thanks Sync-
It does not mention anything about the IRQ. All the features under professional I don't need, but I just want to make sure anything I get fits my recording requirements.

So, I am still doing my homework. I do plan to get a new AMD based Laptop and the Motu Ultralite and use the Firewire ports. Question is, let's say I use the firewire for recording my guitars and keyboard. Now let's say I want to record drum samples as well from some drum software suite I purchased. How is the Ultra-lite going to detect and record the drum samples?

Thanks.

Back