Laptop issues can anybody help ??

jpb123

Hi ,

I use Cubase on my laptop ( Core I3 370M , 4 Gig Ram , windows 7 ) and it's always been very good with Cubase. I have an LG external 500 GB usb drive that all the audio goes onto. My problem is that I am trying to do a project with about 7 audio tracks , when I'm mixing these tracks for the 1st 10-15 mins all is well but then , the asio usage indicator in Cubase goes into the red and the audio pop's clicks and stutters etc and eventually the laptop shuts down !!!

I normally leave the music as midi until mixdown but on this occasion I have recorded the separate tracks to see if there's any difference in the mix.

Can anybody suggest where my problems may lie ??

John

Blocked fan and thus overheating CPU?

I have an i3 HP laptop and it will run 19 tracks from the A.Audition demo for as long as I like and uses 18% of CPU and 1.9G of 4G ram. (I happen to have just done this for another guy in another place!).

Dave.

+1. Full shutdown is very likely to be an overheating problem.

You won't need temperature monitoring software; Just feel the bottom of your laptop. ;)

Thanks Guys ,

This leads me on to my next question......How do I unblock the fan ??

Is this something I can do myself with my limited intellect in computers or do I need a professional ??

John

If it is overheating and a blocked fan is the cause, there are two things you can do.

The easy, might work option is to get the vacuum on that bad boy.
Make sure the computer is off and get the narrow nozzle right on the fan outlets.
If there's a bottom and a side vent, try covering one and sucking through the other, then suddenly uncover...You know, that kind of thing.

If you can get a can of compressed air, that's good too. No jokes please, but blow then suck - rinse and repeat.
Just make sure to keep the can upright; They can spray liquid otherwise.

The other, will work option is a full teardown and manual clean. If you're not sure you can do it, don't do it. ;)

If your laptop model happens to have a plastic screw-off cover over the fans, then obviously take that off and clean with vacuum and soft brush, but that's not especially common.

Last edited:
Thanks Guy's,

It's an acer 5742 laptop. I just did the easy option and it's doing a lot better. Hope this fixes it for good !!!!

Many thanks

John:thumbs up:

Back