laptop in car for mixing?

Decipha

EFIDynoTuning
I have a very nice SQ sound system in my car... i demand high quality and thats just what i have... over $4k i've dumped in my car sound system alone. I was wondering, since I do alot of my mixing on a PC... would it be smart to mix inside my vehicle? I think it would be interesting, the only downfall is I don't have a laptop at the moment... any way the ?, does any body here mix via laptop in the car/truck/boat/suv/fema trailor??

Decipha said:
I have a very nice SQ sound system in my car... i demand high quality and thats just what i have... over $4k i've dumped in my car sound system alone. I was wondering, since I do alot of my mixing on a PC... would it be smart to mix inside my vehicle? I think it would be interesting, the only downfall is I don't have a laptop at the moment... any way the ?, does any body here mix via laptop in the car/truck/boat/suv/fema trailor??

fema trailor? :D does your system sound flat? can you sit on the center console so that your ears are getting good left/right imaging................i don't see it happening. :D

Why would somebody who "demands high quality" be asking if he could take such a major shortcut?

If automobiles were a good environment for mixing, studio control rooms would be 6'x6', have glass on all sides, and have multiple studio monitors pointing at our feet and towards the back of our heads.

G.

TravisinFlorida said:
maybe if he had'nt fropped $4k in his car sound system he could afford equipment for the house. :D
That had better not be my FEMA money that bought that $4k subwoofer on wheels :cool: .

G.

i was in florida during the last big hurricane season and saw alot of fema money getting wasted. luckily i had bought my own beer before the power went out but fema was nice enough to provide the ice.

If you really want quality, and if mixing is your priority, why don't you go sell all the bells and whistles that you bought for your car and buy some fine studio monitors and get yourself set up nicely.

TravisinFlorida said:
i was in florida during the last big hurricane season and saw alot of fema money getting wasted. luckily i had bought my own beer before the power went out but fema was nice enough to provide the ice.
I think we'll all forgive you your ice :D It's the other two billion dollars that shysters spent on vacations to Fiji, sex change operations, and car stereos that I have a problem with.

G.

Compared to good home systems or studio monitors, there's no such thing as a "high sq sound system" in a car. They are plagued by a variety of problems that can not be overcome due to the layout/physics of a car.

You would get a "highly accurate" playback sound.... if you ONLY played it back in your car. If you want to make private mixes for just yourself, go for it.

But if you want your mixes to be portable to anyone ELSE, it'd be the wrong way to go...

SouthSIDE Glen said:
I think we'll all forgive you your ice :D It's the other two billion dollars that shysters spent on vacations to Fiji, sex change operations, and car stereos that I have a problem with.

G.

:mad: Fema told me I could spend my money on USED behringer gear ONLY. What kind of society do we live in?!?!

alright maybe the car isin't the ideal location for mixing, it was just an 'idea' to play with... never mind any way funny you talked about mixing in a fema trailor... i have done this! on the 4th of this month i produced a track for a friend, it was recorded on a $5 radioshack mic plugged straight in to the soundcard mic input... not the best quality but i did my best eqing it trying to get a nice sound... i think i did damn good considering the setup we were using.... (if you want to even call it a setup) i mixed it using the computer speakers and a set of headphones... if anybody wants to listen just CLICK HERE

i also made the beat... it was a rushed el quicko beat

yep and the uhh was recorded by his girlfriend... it was a practice track anywho so the lyrics really didn't make any difference

dmc777 said:
Is that the BooBass in Fruity Loops? :D

Good ear. I recoginize the boobass too after you mentioned it. It's pretty damn versatile.

for you suburban white guys, "beat up" is kind a newer slang term that you can add to your hip hop vocabulary. for example, "i beat up your little sister in the bushes last night". :D

beat up is slang??? wut??? its also not new, i've been saying beat since the beginings of time, no doubt its not common in other parts of the country but its not technically slang. Not trying to down you any but im just saying. anyway, my friend brett really does beat that pussy up... i feel bad for his girl friend, they been together almost 2 years and she still walks around sore.

Decipha said:
beat up is slang??? wut??? its also not new, i've been saying beat since the beginings of time, no doubt its not common in other parts of the country but its not technically slang. Not trying to down you any but im just saying. anyway, my friend brett really does beat that pussy up... i feel bad for his girl friend, they been together almost 2 years and she still walks around sore.
You'll never find that definition in a dictionary. That makes it slang. Not that you've ever visited a dictionary, so you're excused from having to know that ;).

G.

OK, while I'd love to give my opinion on rap lyrics, etc...

I can see why he asked the original question. I'm not saying it's a valid theory, but I don't think laziness was the motivator (can laziness motivate you, or does one make the other impossible?)...anyway. He might have read somewhere that certain songs through history were mixed to sound good in a car (I think "Miss You" is an example of that). So his thought process might be "Why not get it to sound good in a car if that's where most people will be listening to it". Of course, not everyone will be listening in HIS car, etc...but I don't think it was a stupid question to at least ask.

Back