Laptop, hardware and software ?????

paulq

Hi there, im looking to start recording but i habe no idea what I need in terms of a decent laptop for my requirements.

I play in a band and would like to record our music ourselves. I would like to record up to 20 tracks simultaneously with the ability to mix and manipulate each track. I have seen this with the auria app fpr the ipad with the prosonous interface, however i feel that using a mac book with logic/protools will be much easier and with fewer limitations.

What mac laptop can you recommend for this? Also can you direct me at what software and audio interfaces to go for. I'm not looking for top of the range equipment for now really, just to get the band started on recording with some decent quality results.

thanks

Paul

To record 20 tracks simultaneously you'll need some good processing power . Considering you are starting from scratch, there's a steep learning curve. What's your total budget? How many mic preamps do you need (Or are you taking the feed off your band's mixer?)
If you've got the budget, I'd recommend you call Sweetwater, talk to one of their engineers - they'll ask you all the questions needed, and have computers (can even put one together for precisely your need), interface and everything you would need.

20 tracks at once? How many of you are there and where are you planning on doing this recording? Have you any experience with recording?

To record 20 tracks simultaneously you'll need some good processing power . Considering you are starting from scratch, there's a steep learning curve. What's your total budget? How many mic preamps do you need (Or are you taking the feed off your band's mixer?).

I would be looking at spending up to £1700 and hopefully pick up a set of drum mics as well, but im not really sure about what my money is going to get me. Im a total newbie and but ive got to start somewhere. I figure that if I just start with enough mics to mic all the equipment while we have band rehearsals and record that, it will be much easier in terms of time to get use to using the software. I have been using a small app on the ipod touch called MUSIC STUDIO by Xewton. a great little studio that really gave a great introduction into music prodution. I have recorded a lot of music at home with some great results for such a small device, It know it may sound daft to some of you pros out there but for what it is I found it amazing. There is a new app called Auria for the ipad which is £50 that allows you (with an I/O interface) up to 24 tracks simultaneously with the possibility of 48 tracks. I have looked into this but from experience with xewton music studio i found that at the moment with this technology it has its drawbacks. although it will probably have a big part to play in the future

I get that recording with an iPad has its uses, however there are limitations and there's only one interface I'm aware of that lets you stream more than 2 tracks at once.

If you're familiar with Apple and happy to pay the premium by all means get an Apple - any particular reason why you want a laptop? Is it going to be mobile?

And again, why 20 tracks AT ONCE?

Back