Laptop: Am I out of luck here?

overseas

Okay, here's the deal: I recently got this laptop as a gift (specs below)

Now don't get me wrong; I really appreciated getting it. As you can see, it has lots of bells and whistles, including a
CD-RW...

...but there's a BIG catch: no line input (mic in only). I've been wanting to transfer most of my extensive cassette collection to digital and burn CD's. Returning or exchanging this laptop is out of the question, unfortunately. Is it possible to do what I want without a line input? I think there isn't, unless...

...I were to purchase the Tascam US428 and it would it be possible via the USB port...????? (Sorry, I'm not all that well informed here, hebce my posting in the "Newbies" forum.)

Or do I still need to have line-ins on the soundcard?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm pretty much stuck with this computer, whether I can record onto it or not (It's VERY nice otherwise)

THE SPECS:

Sony VAIO PCG-FX990
Microprocessor : Mobile Intel Pentium III processor 1 GHz -

Supports SpeedStep¢â technology
Chipset : Intel 815EM Chipset
Processor System Bus : 100 MHz
Cache : 32 KB/256 KB (on chip)
Main Memory : 256 MB SDRAM Memory
Hard Disk : 20 GB (C:10GB, D:10GB)
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive : Maximum reading capacity: CD-ROM, CD-R: 24x speed
CD-RW: 12x speed
DVD-ROM: 8x speed
Maximum writing capacity: CD-R: 8x speed
CD-RW: 4x speed
Mutli-session compatible, tray type: 12cm/8cm
Graphics Accelerator : Intel 815EM Chipset integrated graphics accelerator
Video Memory : maximum 11MB shared with main memory
Display : 15" XGA(1024x768) TFT colour display
Interfaces : Monitor connector
USB connector x2
Microphone in (mono)
conectori.LINK (IEEE1394)
S400 (4pin) connector
Headphone out (stereo) connector
Modem connector
Printer connector
Serial connector
Network connector
Video out connector
Modem : V.90 and K56flex compliant
PC Card Slots : Type III x 1, or Type I/II x 2, 16bit/Cardbus support
Audio : Windowssound system compatible,
AC97 compliant
Software MIDI sound generator
3D Sound function
Stereo speakers

Pre-installed Software : Operating System :
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (English Version)
Software Application:
Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0Adobe Photoshop ElementsApple QuickTime¢â 5.0InterVideo WinDVD¢â 3.1Sony DigitalPrintSony DVD Region Setting Utility 1.0Sony DVgate 2.4Sony Motion JPEG DecoderSony MovieShaker 3.2Sony MPEG2 decoderSony Notebook SetupSony SonicStage 1.0Sony PictureGear 5.1Sony PictureToy 1.1Sony Smart Capture 4.2Sony VAIO Action SetupSony VisualFlow 2.1Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2002

No. I'm sorry. That computer will never work for audio at all. In fact, you can just send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly for you. :D

I record on the exact same machine, except an 800mhz model. Its kicks boo-tay as far as lap tops go. I also use a Tascam US-428 and it works great. With it I can record 4 tracks at a time. The machine will play back around 23 tracks, too, when running on a stripped down installation of XP Home.

Yeah, the mic input is mono only so there is no way to get a stereo signal into it. That's the major bummer about most laptops- even sony's multimedia VAIOs. Oh, well. If you have the cash for a 428 you'll enjoy the control surface for mixing, too. There are some cheaper USB options out there, though- as well as some more expensive ones.

Have fun! Enjoy your new toy. :D
Chris

On my laptop i use the mic in and turn the gain way down low and make sure the 20 db boost is off. You will have to play with the settings a tiny bit, but you should be able to get what your after.

-Angermeyer

Thanks guys!

That's good news! Guess it's time to explore the USB options.

Chris, do you also have the CD burner on your model? If so, how well does it work for you?

Thanks to both of you!

Bruce in Korea

The CD-RW/DVD-Rom combo in this machine works really well. It does everything that it is supposed to do. With XP, I even use window's burning software. Its a little basic, but it does the job.

For burning audio CD's, I line all my songs up in Windows Media Player and burn them right from there. For data CD's, you just pop a a blank CD in the drive, drag the files and folders you want to copy over to the CD drive, click "Burn these files to CD", then go make a sandwich and a cup of tea. Its pretty easy and the CD's work in every CD player I've tried.

I don't use it vor DVD's, though. I want it to last as long as possible so I avoid using it too much.

Take care,
Chris

Very useful tips!

Thanks again Chris! [he bows deeply and gracefully]

The advice about the CD-RW is VERY useful, though it'll be a while before I'm able to pick up a USB device. That's okay with me, though, as in the interim I'll be compiling as much info about all this stuff as I can.

Appreciate the info!

Bruce in Korea

SB extigy is POS

Don't even think of the extigy for ANYTHING. I tried it and my system crashed so much after it was installed that it was unusable for anything.

In fact the mic fader has disappeared from the windows XP mixer since I uninstalled it and it has been MIA ever since. I have never been able to enable as it disappeared from the options as well.

I gave up on USB audio devices after everything I tried would not work in XP. I just use the built in sound card for now. Maybe USB 2.0 will have some better offerings. Currently I use a midisport USB midi port with an EM-100 general midi module for portable work. Laptop soundcards are pretty laggy when playing back midi so the midisport works great for playing a click that is actually in time.

I have since installed another HD with win2k so maybe I will look into USB audio again soon. I also picked up a guitar port as part of another experiment and it works well enough in 2k for quick and dirty scatch tracks.

Cheers,
BB

Back