Laney AOR Pro Tube 100W

PeteHalo

I couldn't resist the sudden urge to buy this very clean looking late 80's all tube Laney head when I saw it laying on the floor at the local music store with price tag of 150 euros. This is my seventh tube amp so I really didn't need another one but the price was so low and I was in a bit of a hurry so I didn't even have the time to plug it in before I bought it. Last Sunday, two weeks after I bought it I finally had the time for a little test drive at apartement volume and I was really pleased with the palette of sounds I could get out of this thing by tweaking the really effective tone controls and the nonintuitive volume controls.

How are these volume controls supposed to work? There's four pots labeled Master volume, Preamp1 level, Preamp2 volume and Preamp1 volume and when I pull out the Preamp Volume1 to engage the distortion channel all of these four pots affect the amount and character of distortion and overall volume and when I push it in only the Preamp1 level has no effect. I even took the chassis out to see if someone had modified the preamp but everything inside looked like as if the amp would have rolled out of the factory yesterday.

I've read this manual already but I think it covers the earlier model with different volume control layout.

I have had a dozen of these. (I used to be endorsed) I still have my 20th anniversary white tolex head.
Anyway, Preamp 1 and preamp 2 volumes are cascading gain stages. 2 will overdrive 1 and 1 overdrives the rest of the amp when the preamp 1 control is pulled out. Preamp 1 level is like a master volume that only works if the preamp 1 pot is pulled out. You will notice that when you have the tone boosts pulled out and you turn the master volume all the way down, you will still hear the bass boost. The preamp 1 level will control it.
It seems a little goofy at first, but this gives the amp a wide range of tones depending on where you are overdriving the amp. It will sound different if you have the preamp 1 level at 3 and the master volume at 10 than if you do the opposite. The two preamps sound a little different from each other as well. I tended to have mine both set at 6 or 7, but if you back one off and crank the other, the tone of the amp changes.

Back