lag in recorded track with Sonar4PE

I have an AMD LIVE64 based HP computer running Sonar4 Producer Edition through a Presonus Firepod. This PC has successfully been used the last two years to record numerous guitar tracks by my now ex-guitarist. Anyway, I haven't changed a thing with the system and after seeing the bazillion tracks he laid down previously, I was trying to lay down a very simple 4 track barebone song that is less than 5 min in length. After I got metronome, two guitar track on just fine, I went to record my drums. About 1 min. in, I start getting skipping and farting with Sonar. I powered through the track and was on time with the metronome. I hit playback after I was done and everything was off by one beat.

First off, what can I do to stop this and secondly, how can I simply move a track right or left to sync with my metronome file. The metronome is in time with the rest of the tracks so if I can line the drums up with that, I'd be cool with it. I tried "nudging" the track but it goes over too far to the right or left. I just want to move it just a tad but it won't let me.

Any ideas? Upgradins or throwing money at the problem is not an option. I've checked the Presonus boards but to no avail. I figure if my ex-guitarist could record all of his space-hog wanking than this should handle a basic and simple 4 track demo no problem.

nevermind. fixed my problem for now. It was a snap to grid setting and I wanted free movement of the wav file.

Now when I try to record, the stupid program just locks up. pfft! So much for blowing 1K on quality hardware only to have the software crap out.

My buddy thought this software was the cat's ass but I think I'm going back to n-track studio because everything for me is like 100x simpler and it always just worked well within 32 tracks. Sorry to waste anyone's time. To each their own I suppose.

Well... you are running a rather old version of Sonar. ;)

I still use Sonar 4 (as well as Sonar 7) and I've got no problems. I find it much more stable than sonar 5 or 6 for that matter (haven't made up my mind about sonar 7). but now Sonar 8 is here...

Back