LA-4 compressor

You might want to go over to www.recording.org and do a search for a great post about a year ago where Fletcher or someone (sorry, it's a little fuzzy) went into a wonderfully detailed elaboration on the differences between all the different models (and colors within the models) of the LA line.

I used to master with a pair of Urei LA-4 tube comps. Absolutely lovely. I've never used an Avalon, so I can't make a comparison. the ART PRO Levelar is actually pretty similar and a hellovalot cheaper.

Jamal said:
How would this match up to a avalon compressor?

They are different compressors, they sound different. I've found in my experience that the La-4 is a very thin compessor.

JR#97, FWIW, I've never heard of an LA-4 "tube comp"....were you thinking of the LA-2 or LA-2A?

Re: Re: LA-4 compressor

ametth said:

They are different compressors, they sound different. I've found in my experience that the La-4 is a very thin compessor.

JR#97, FWIW, I've never heard of an LA-4 "tube comp"....were you thinking of the LA-2 or LA-2A?

Corrected yet again... the LA-4 is solid state. Either way, I liked our set of them. Smoooooooth.... I don't recall ours being thin, but I didn't have a set of LA-2's to put them up against either. I guess I should also add that ours were modified.

Back